amp gauge ?

Old 02-08-06, 06:22 AM
amp gauge ?

i have a 2005 left over ford pick up..when i bought it the battery was dead,they jumped it,and i found out it wouldnt hold a charge over night...dealer replaced battery said once battery goes dead and takes a few jump starts the bateery is basically shot....truck was laying on lot for 14 months...with new battery truck starts ,but i noticed the charging gauge reads 12-14,<in the green> when truck is running,which fine...when i shut engine off and turn key to the on position,the gauge reads 13,but after sitting over night and i turn the key the gauge read below the green until i start the truck....is that ok for the battery to below 12 after sitting over night.....it starts with no problem,im just concerned with the under 12 reading before i start it...thanks alot...

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-06, 11:36 AM
i am wondering if your vehicle is charging that battery at all. how long have you had the new batt in there, since it has been doing `ok` ? . when engine is running, the voltage should be 13-14 volts, engine off should be at 12 volts or just over 12. (for example) If your lights dim when you turn something heavy on, then you still have a charging issue.

Old 02-08-06, 12:14 PM
It's called a voltmeter, not an amp gauge.

Old 02-08-06, 12:17 PM
the charging guage is usually not real accurate it is just accurate enough to usually show a problem when the vehicle isnt charging you could use a voltmeter and test at the battery if you are concerned about it.

Old 02-08-06, 01:29 PM
the static voltage on a 12 volt battery is around 13.5. running, your Voltmeter should read between 14 -16 volts. something is drawing down your battery overnight.

Old 02-08-06, 08:40 PM
Lightbulb our442

Originally Posted by lovmy4x4
i have a 2005 left over ford pick up..when i bought it the battery was dead,they jumped it,and i found out it wouldnt hold a charge over night...dealer replaced battery said once battery goes dead and takes a few jump starts the bateery is basically shot....truck was laying on lot for 14 months...with new battery truck starts ,but i noticed the charging gauge reads 12-14,<in the green> when truck is running,which fine...when i shut engine off and turn key to the on position,the gauge reads 13,but after sitting over night and i turn the key the gauge read below the green until i start the truck....is that ok for the battery to below 12 after sitting over night.....it starts with no problem,im just concerned with the under 12 reading before i start it...thanks alot...
Check bateery before starting engine in morning with volt meter. Your gauge may be off.

Old 02-09-06, 01:01 AM
you should test for a parasitic load.

Old 02-09-06, 06:35 AM
Originally Posted by lovmy4x4
Personally it sounds like you got a perfectly working alternator/starting system. The dealer already replaced the old battery, and this new battery isn't giving you any starting problems. Leave it alone, enjoy your new truck and wait for your battery or alternator to start acting up. IMO at this point they both are fine, that's including the voltage gauge also