Ford Transmission Tubing Flare?

Old 02-09-06, 10:46 AM
Ford Transmission Tubing Flare?

97b Ford V6 4.2L 50,000 miles
I need to replace the flared end of the tubing that enters the radiator at the top. It looks like a 45 degree double flare. Are there variations that may appear to be 45 deg double flare to inexperienced eyes? I am sure it is double flared. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-06, 11:33 AM
tubing flare

If the line swivels as i suspect it does than it is a special fitting. Your local auto parts store should be able to give you an adaptor so that you can use a regulkar double flared line

Old 02-09-06, 12:06 PM
Local parts stores do not carry any transmission tubing supplies at all. It's a dealer item. If it comes to getting the dealer part, I will have to.

What came out (the original part) was double flared and appeared to be 45 degree. As far as I know, automotive lines have either single flare 37 degrees or double flare 45 degrees on all tubings (brake, fuel, transmission). I am asking a pro if I am right, that is, the double flared tubing has got to be 45 deg.

By the way, OEM threaded fitting was transferred from the old tubing to the new. That's not what I am asking about.

Thanks.

Old 02-09-06, 04:13 PM
I understand your concern, but mostly the pro's don't know the answer. The parts are sold by application which eliminates the need for us to know if its 37, or 45 or one of a hundreds different spec's for flared tubing. If you have it narrowed down to 37 or 45, then I recommend you see for yourself. In other words, fabricate a small 45 degree something (paper cut out, plastic arrow head, etc) , and fit it to your flare. Use magnifying glasses and visually see if it fits. It's that simple.

It's true that if you go to the auto parts store for double flared tubing, you will be buying brake line tubing.

Old 02-09-06, 05:43 PM
Thanks, Lugnut, for the answer. I will see how it goes. If it continues to leak, then I will buy a genuine FORD part. Thanks again.

Old 02-10-06, 02:02 PM
The first tubing I made leaked. I fab'ed the second one, and this one is not leaking at all. Thanks for the encouragement to go ahead with the plan.