1998 Ford F150 Starting Problems

Old 02-09-06, 02:52 PM
1998 Ford F150 Starting Problems

this morning i went out to start my truck and it started to turn over once and then started clicking. looked under the hood and the negative battery cable was corroded. cleaned the cable, hooked up to a battery charger, and the truck still makes that annoying clicking noise. the battery has lots of juice so i know it's not the battery. was looking further under the hood and noticed a box on the passenger side firewall that says, primary battery fuse. under the cover of this box are three things that sort of look like solenoids- could this be the problem? if not, does anyone have a clue as to what the problem can be? i've had this truck for three years and have never had a minute's trouble with it.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-06, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by zendor
this morning i went out to start my truck and it started to turn over once and then started clicking. looked under the hood and the negative battery cable was corroded. cleaned the cable, hooked up to a battery charger, and the truck still makes that annoying clicking noise. the battery has lots of juice so i know it's not the battery. was looking further under the hood and noticed a box on the passenger side firewall that says, primary battery fuse. under the cover of this box are three things that sort of look like solenoids- could this be the problem? if not, does anyone have a clue as to what the problem can be? i've had this truck for three years and have never had a minute's trouble with it.

How old is the battery ? I think is either a bad battery or a bad starter motor.
Replacing starter is easy and not expensive at all.

Old 02-09-06, 07:05 PM
I'd follow your bat wires and look for more corrosion, even inside the plastic cover

A battery can read good with a simple voltmeter test and still be bad
You need to load test it to get a better idea of it's state

Also, if the battery came with the truck, I don't know what your climate is but in New England, anything over three years is on borrowed time
If there's any question on a 3-5 year old bat 'round here, it's best to replace it

Old 02-10-06, 08:46 AM
sounds like yo`re still not getting enough power to the starter, dont rule out poor battery performance. jump your truck with another vehicles power and see what that does.

Old 02-10-06, 01:17 PM
I also want to know how old the battery is and where you live (really how cold it gets in the winter wherever you live).

Old 02-10-06, 04:13 PM
Red face our442

Originally Posted by zendor
I think you will find it it the starter solenold is at blame. Replace it.