91 chevy caprice failed emissions

Old 02-10-06, 08:50 AM
91 chevy caprice failed emissions

someone help me out please. my caprice with a 5.0 305 motor failed its emission renewal. wires plugs and air filter seem to be good. the tech . that tested me said i BARELY failed because of unburned hydrocarbons[gas]. should i replace the oxygen sensor? smog pump? any help would be great

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-06, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by BiggWaukegan
someone help me out please. my caprice with a 5.0 305 motor failed its emission renewal. wires plugs and air filter seem to be good. the tech . that tested me said i BARELY failed because of unburned hydrocarbons[gas]. should i replace the oxygen sensor? smog pump? any help would be great

Change Fuel & Air Filter, Change Spark Plugs,PCV Valve, Switch to a higher octane gasoline and go from there, no reason to believe smog pump or oxygen sensors yet, by the way I'm assuming your computer is not throwing any codes right ?

Old 02-10-06, 01:28 PM
No codes being sent out. ill try what u said.i guess :nfunny:

Old 02-10-06, 04:07 PM
Exclamation our442

Originally Posted by BiggWaukegan
Sometimes the best way to pass E test is to run fuil cleaner in gas and give car nice long drive .

Old 02-10-06, 07:05 PM
No engine light/code, hydrocabon reading high= engine temp low(cold), give it a good run on highway speed then come back and retest it, don't let it run at idle for too long prior to do the test.

Last edited by New guy; 02-11-06 at 03:56 AM.
Old 02-10-06, 10:59 PM
if you havent had an oil change done recently you can probably lower the hc a little just by changing the oil.
might check vacum lines and repair any damaged vacum lines as a vacum leak can cause hc to be high also.

Old 02-11-06, 07:39 AM
Try a couple of small bottles of gasline antifreeze (alcohol) in the tank with some fresh gas, and make sure you give it a good highway run prior to test, to heat up catalytic converter to optimum temperature. If your that close, this should get a pass next time