86 Corolla brake and charge lights are on

Old 02-10-06, 06:14 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 Corolla brake and charge lights are on

Does anyone know what would cause both the brake and charge lights to be on at the same time? It happened this morning. When I get some RPM on the engine, the lights goes out. But when I slow down or come to a stop, both lights come back on. I can sometime hear a clicking from the engine compartment, maybe a mechanical voltage regulator?

The alternator was replaced about 5 years ago. Don't remember if the dash displayed the same light action. Brake fluid level is ok.

Old 02-10-06, 06:54 PM
O
Lightbulb our442

Originally Posted by davelew
Does anyone know what would cause both the brake and charge lights to be on at the same time? It happened this morning. When I get some RPM on the engine, the lights goes out. But when I slow down or come to a stop, both lights come back on. I can sometime hear a clicking from the engine compartment, maybe a mechanical voltage regulator?

The alternator was replaced about 5 years ago. Don't remember if the dash displayed the same light action. Brake fluid level is ok.
My be time for belts or another alternator. Is it a twinohc engine. If it is alternators only seen to last 5 or 6 years.

Old 02-10-06, 08:00 PM
If the belt is OK, more likely your Alternator is getting weak (worn brushes). I'd go for another Alternator.

Old 02-10-06, 08:26 PM
S
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, it's most likely the alt
I'm not sure why both lights come on like that, but the alt's usually the reason

Old 02-10-06, 08:42 PM
D
It's a 1.6 SOC engine. Could it also be the regulator? Don't know if the regulator is part of the alt. or separate item. Don't know if the regulator is electro-mechanical, or solid state. That clicking sound may be from some totally unrelated relay. The lights does go out with higher RPMs. Checked belt tension and it's good.

Old 02-11-06, 06:40 AM
S
The symptoms are consistant with a failing alt
Not sure about the SOHC, but on the Duals the reg is intregal anyway

You can have the alt checked out before you purchase one
Many DIY and Battery places will check them for you at no charge
I wouldn't replace it w/o a test anyway

Old 02-11-06, 04:19 PM
M
charging problem

It does sound like a charging problem get alt.checked,battery checked if it is over 4 years old it might be on its last amps (legs) also make sure cables are clean tight and not falling off from corrosion.You say belt is tight so thats good.
The clicking might be from your battery about to die because it is not charging and it is barley starting your car.

Old 02-13-06, 06:50 PM
D
Problem was traced to a weak alternator. I replaced it and both lights went out. Never located that clicking sound but it is a non issue at this point. Thanks for all the replies!

Old 02-13-06, 07:33 PM
M
good deal

Good deal it is fixed a alternator will do it all the time.The clicking will be gone also now that your battery gets a full charge.
Thanks for getting back and letting us know.

Old 02-13-06, 09:25 PM
O
Talking

Originally Posted by davelew
Problem was traced to a weak alternator. I replaced it and both lights went out. Never located that clicking sound but it is a non issue at this point. Thanks for all the replies!
The clicking I think was in alternator.I had a 1986 twinohc engine and had same thing happen every 6 years.

Old 02-14-06, 05:44 AM
S
Thanks for the update davelew
Glad your "Yoda" is now charging well

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: