emissions..NOx to high..

Old 02-10-06, 05:59 PM
emissions..NOx to high..

anybody know a way to get the NOx down long enough to pass emissions?.......ive read that oil change with thicker oil....adding octane booster......and or adding alcohol to the gas...one article posted that a paper clip could put your cars computer in test mode which would drop all emissions..HC..CO..NOx.....ok the limit for NOx in my case is 2.0000...i had my car tested twice..1st NOx reading was a 2.2333...then a 2.3474.....i had a certified station look at the car and they cleaned the erg..and did other test..car still fails when they test it..any help????

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-06, 06:55 PM
Sound like the EGR is not working correctly, make sure vacuum hoses connect to EGR valve are good and vacuum is present when it's suppose to. I'd find out what's exactly causing high NOx reading and fix it right rather than try to put a bandage on and hoping it'll pass.

Old 02-11-06, 09:19 AM
Question

Originally Posted by krbdy1
anybody know a way to get the NOx down long enough to pass emissions?.......ive read that oil change with thicker oil....adding octane booster......and or adding alcohol to the gas...one article posted that a paper clip could put your cars computer in test mode which would drop all emissions..HC..CO..NOx.....ok the limit for NOx in my case is 2.0000...i had my car tested twice..1st NOx reading was a 2.2333...then a 2.3474.....i had a certified station look at the car and they cleaned the erg..and did other test..car still fails when they test it..any help????
Is it a GM Ford Dodge.

Old 02-11-06, 09:31 AM
Question

Originally Posted by our442
Is it a GM Ford Dodge.
Check oxygen senseor or senseors. Some cars have more then one. Check all air filters and canister filter.

Old 02-11-06, 09:31 AM
gm.....92 cadillac....i just added octane booster...and filled it up with premium gas....will test again on monday..

Old 02-11-06, 10:13 AM
cat

double check egr system
check for carbon build and compression too high
check cooling system for too high temp
check air injection into exaust stream if you have susch a system make sure pump is putting out and ports are clear

finally... your cat is fried

Old 02-11-06, 11:31 AM
it's been a long time, but when i lived in jersey we all had muscle cars and would tweek the timing to pass emissions tests. i can't remember what we did. over advance to start the combustion sooner ? forgive me it has been thirty years