replacing freeze plugs

Old 02-12-06, 11:11 AM
replacing freeze plugs

I have a 77 ford pickup truck, 460 CI engine. The freeze plug is leaking. How do I press the plug back into the block? there is no room for hammering it in. it must be pressed in either with leverage or with some kind of hydrolic system. Any thoughts how to put it in at home?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-06, 12:24 PM
curt o.
Visiting Guest
Freeze plug

Had a 77 chevy van once that had leaking freeze plug that i couldn't get a hammer to.
Went to auto store and brought a rubber expandable one, only had to get a small open end wrench to tighten it.

By the way that expandable freeze plug lasted till i sold the van and may still be working at least 13 yrs or so.

Old 02-12-06, 12:56 PM
Yes, they sell expandable plugs exactly for that reason,, no room to hammer. I'm not 100 percent certain but in addition to the rubber ones, I think they have 'all copper' expandable plugs also. They tighten up with a wrench too.

Old 02-12-06, 01:08 PM
It seems the freeze plugs are always in a hard to get to area, like behind the exhaust manifold. The rubber expandable plug is probably the best way to go in your case. And I agree, they last a long long time. Its been awhile since I worked on a 460, this was the mainstay engine of the Lincoln Continental. Lots of low end torque and smooth running.

Search this Thread