change a stater on a chevy Suburban

Old 02-14-06, 08:35 AM
Question change a stater on a chevy Suburban

I need some help in chaning the starter on 1995 Sub. is there a certain way the gears need to line up. Is there any thing I should watch out for.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-06, 08:55 AM
no, the gears won't even touch untill you energize the starter. just fit it properly, not forcing anything into place and you'll be fine. it's a very loose fit untill the bolts are snugged down.

Old 02-14-06, 09:20 AM
Thankyou

Originally Posted by flopshot
no, the gears won't even touch untill you energize the starter. just fit it properly, not forcing anything into place and you'll be fine. it's a very loose fit untill the bolts are snugged down.
Thankyou, for the fast reply will give it a try.

Old 02-14-06, 10:38 AM
Most chevys have a 3/32" clearance. 3/32" between the flywheel teeth and the shaft of the starter drive. I use a welding rod with the insulation busted off of it, its close to 3/32". Bolt the starter up leaving it loose enough to move, insert the 3/32" gauge between shaft of starter and flywheel teeth and tighten.

Old 02-14-06, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by chevydrivin
Most chevys have a 3/32" clearance. 3/32" between the flywheel teeth and the shaft of the starter drive. I use a welding rod with the insulation busted off of it, its close to 3/32". Bolt the starter up leaving it loose enough to move, insert the 3/32" gauge between shaft of starter and flywheel teeth and tighten.
Most starters come with shims.

Old 02-14-06, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by our442
Most starters come with shims.
Yes, if when you tighten the starter up and the 3/32" GAUGE does not fit then you must add shims. As you add shims the starter will tighten up in place downward away from the block increasing the clearance between the starter shaft and flywheel gear (until the 3/32" GAUGE will fit.

The welding rod is the "tool" to get the clearance right not the shim if that is what you were refering too.