Sway bar or bad shocks

Old 02-14-06, 12:27 PM
Sway bar or bad shocks

Here's the skinny. '95 olds 88 Royal, front wheel drive. Had a mechanic put in a serpentine belt and when test drove, said that rear end had a jump to it. So sure enough, went over the first bump and the rear end seems to jump/shift to the right after the bump. It seems that it's the rear like a broken sway bar or something. I am taking the car in to get tires rotated can they see a problem when this is done, or do I need to pay someone with that "SPEACIAL TOOL" to tell me what the problem is? Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-06, 01:40 PM
The broken sway bar (or associated straps or end links) will be real obvious when it's in the air
If, for some reason, it's not painfully obvious, a wiggle will give an answer
No special tools/manuals/computer req'd
It's a big honkin' bar that goes from left to right

Old 02-14-06, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by pdx2mmh
Here's the skinny. '95 olds 88 Royal, front wheel drive. Had a mechanic put in a serpentine belt and when test drove, said that rear end had a jump to it. So sure enough, went over the first bump and the rear end seems to jump/shift to the right after the bump. It seems that it's the rear like a broken sway bar or something. I am taking the car in to get tires rotated can they see a problem when this is done, or do I need to pay someone with that "SPEACIAL TOOL" to tell me what the problem is? Thanks for the help.
It seems to be more then a swaybar. Spring or control arm or suspension ajustment links or strut shock. Ask to have a check done as thay replace the tires.

Old 02-14-06, 03:57 PM
a sway bar controls body roll and does not hold anything in place. a control arm or link would do that job and can be seen without any special tools or machines. just a wild guess at this point but it sounds like a shock. maybe a broken shock as opposed to a worn one.