Help! Need advice after my head gasket died ...

Old 02-14-06, 02:16 PM
Help! Need advice after my head gasket died ...

(Note: technically this isn't an auto repair question but I'm hoping it can be answered best by those most familiar with auto repair. Thanks!)

Hello all -

I'm in real need of some good advice and am hoping you can help me out. I just sunk $2000 into my 96 Ford Explorer to get the transmission rebuilt (comes with a 3 year warranty) and radiator replaced, and now my head gasket needs to be replaced. The car is out of comission for the moment.

Now, *that's* an expense which I just can't justify pouring into the car since I am still paying off the transmission repair. I want to get rid of this thing, but I want to get the best price possible. The car is in generally good condition, considering its age and mileage, and it's got the warranty on the transmission and a brand new radiator. The guy who towed it for me said he'd give me $800 cash for it, but no way am I going to do that with that transmission in there.

If this were your car, how would you get the most money out of it?

Thanks in advance -

Dave Navarro

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-06, 02:31 PM
Wink

Originally Posted by davenavarro
(Note: technically this isn't an auto repair question but I'm hoping it can be answered best by those most familiar with auto repair. Thanks!)

Hello all -

I'm in real need of some good advice and am hoping you can help me out. I just sunk $2000 into my 96 Ford Explorer to get the transmission rebuilt (comes with a 3 year warranty) and radiator replaced, and now my head gasket needs to be replaced. The car is out of comission for the moment.

Now, *that's* an expense which I just can't justify pouring into the car since I am still paying off the transmission repair. I want to get rid of this thing, but I want to get the best price possible. The car is in generally good condition, considering its age and mileage, and it's got the warranty on the transmission and a brand new radiator. The guy who towed it for me said he'd give me $800 cash for it, but no way am I going to do that with that transmission in there.

Thanks in advance -

Dave Navarro
DO the head gasket and then sell it. You can do it your self and save. It is not that hard to do.

Old 02-14-06, 02:34 PM
Group Moderator
kbb.com for help determining the value of the vehicle. As long as it needs anew head gasket, it isn't going to be worth much, I'd be surprised if it was worth what the transmission cost you.

Old 02-14-06, 02:35 PM

Hello all -

Thanks in advance -

Dave Navarro
Where do you live. Canada or US

Old 02-14-06, 05:21 PM
I live in the US.

What's the least expensive (and reputable) way to get the head gasket?

(thanks for everyone for their advice so far!)

Old 02-14-06, 05:26 PM
I live in the US.

What's the least expensive (and reputable) way to get the head gasket?

(thanks for everyone for their advice so far!)

well the actual gaskets ( you will need more than just the head gaskets ) are cheap but there's a lot of labor involved, as well as some good tools like a torque meter, best way would be to have it done at a shop unless you have very good skills this is not a DIY for first timers i.m.o.
personal advice : trade it in , get a chevy

Old 02-15-06, 05:27 AM
Group Moderator
Any vo-tech schools in your area? Might be able to get it done fairly cheaply that way since you'll be parting with it after the repair.

Old 02-15-06, 07:00 AM
Pretty common problem, repairs costing more than it's worth. Yours might be worth around 3000-3500 if it's rust-free. With rust...?...good luck. The roll-over problem and gas price jump didn't help their rep either.

Get it fixed, drive it. That's the only way to amortize your costs.

It's not worth anything broken, and don't expect to recover your repair costs by selling it after fixing it, even doing it yourself (head(s) should be machined and serviced since they are off the block, so now you've done a valve job, and don't forget the various old crusty parts that will break during disassembly, plus a new set of plugs and fresh oil and filter and coolant etc etc). If you sell it after fixing it, you'll want to do a private party sale after Spring comes along. Have it detailed so it looks pretty.

My brother went through two of those Exploders before he finally changed brands.

Old 02-15-06, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by our442
DO the head gasket and then sell it. You can do it your self and save. It is not that hard to do.
I am still driving a 1983 ford f150 that I rebuilt engine and body. If you keep it you may get your money back in use.If you like the truck then keep it.

Old 02-15-06, 08:50 AM
think about

parting it out might make some money

Old 02-15-06, 08:54 AM
How do you part it out? Would I call repair shops, or is there another way?

Old 02-15-06, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by our442
I am still driving a 1983 ford f150 that I rebuilt engine and body. If you keep it you may get your money back in use.If you like the truck then keep it.
he he ... that's what I was thinking when I put $2000 into the transmission :-)

Old 02-15-06, 11:31 AM
Parting it out is one way to go, yes calling shops, ads in the paper, or even better, ebay.....

Old 02-15-06, 04:43 PM
If it's the five liter engine the head gaskets are cake
I'd get some estimates first
It's a great DIY job if you have some experience
Or even a good job for a nephew in trade school or something

Old 02-16-06, 01:19 PM
Consider the overall condition of the vehicle. Is the interior nice? Is the body good (I know someone already mentioned rust)? Did it run good (before the recent problems)? If the answer is yes to those questions and the miles aren't too high, then your maximum price would be had if you fixed the head gaskets. And, like others mentioned, if you do it yourself you wouldn't have to spend much money to get it running. Since the car is just sitting, you could take your time and learn a great deal by doing it yourself.