brake light stopping lamp 1998 Buick Regal

Old 02-14-06, 05:28 PM
brake light stopping lamp 1998 Buick Regal

Passenger side brake light not working. The wiring harnesses are reading the same voltage on voltometer. This car has the 3.8 turbo, automatic. Fuses are ok. Actually have switched entire rear lense cluster, and works on drive side. Has to be in right side? Are there any known problems with the same symtoms. Any help is welcome...............THX

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-06, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by brmcc74
Passenger side brake light not working. The wiring harnesses are reading the same voltage on voltometer. This car has the 3.8 turbo, automatic. Fuses are ok. Actually have switched entire rear lense cluster, and works on drive side. Has to be in right side? Are there any known problems with the same symtoms. Any help is welcome...............THX
Check bulbs and sockets.

Old 02-16-06, 08:00 AM
we switched the entire light assembly with the other side and it woked fine on the opposite side. Therefore, I would assume it can't be the bulbs,sockets.

Old 02-16-06, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by brmcc74
we switched the entire light assembly with the other side and it woked fine on the opposite side. Therefore, I would assume it can't be the bulbs,sockets.
You will need to check wiring harnesse farther up the line dirty plugs or cut or pinched wires. It is a pain stakeing job.

Old 02-16-06, 08:50 PM
Check for voltage at the socket. Be sure so use the socket's ground connection, where it makes connection to the bulb when checking. If you have about 12 volts there, you might have a broken wire. It only takes one unbroken strand of wire to give a 12 volt reading but not enough current could pass through it to light the bulb. Or you could have some corrosion in the harness somewhere.

Old 02-17-06, 07:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Does this same bulb also function as the rear turn signal? I'm starting to wonder if there is a problem in that area. If the same filament is used for both stop and turn, the turn signal switch isolates that bulb when the turn signal is activated, so that the left light would burn steady while the right one blinks. Could be a problem in the turn signal switch.

Old 03-11-06, 12:25 PM
We have changed complete lense cluster to the drive side and it works fine. We checked the wires all the way up and cant find problem. We changed the stop light switch. Why would the passenger side brake light not work? Are there any relays or other switches to be checked? We are getting 12 volts at the bare socket, when bulb is installed then no 12 volts. This is on the passenger side. Are we missing something.............any ideas are welcome...............THX

Old 03-11-06, 12:57 PM
Replace socket with new unit.Do you have a trailer hitch on car. If you do hook up trailer and see if lights work..(This is juist my opinion.)

Old 03-11-06, 05:56 PM
does anything work on the right side, turn signal function ok then id suspect what goldstar mentioned above the turn signal switch in the steering column, when brakes are applied the only brake light that actually gets power directly from the brake switch is the center brake light the other brake lights usually have to send power through the turn signal switch as the bulbs function as both brake and turn signal on most gm vehicles.

Old 03-11-06, 06:21 PM
The same voltage readings

would lead me to suspect a ground wire problem. If the ground wire or connection is bad, then you will read 12V on both sides of the bulb, because your meter is connected to a good ground and the voltage at the bulb has no connection back to the battery, so you read 12Volts where you should read no voltage.

I hope this helped.

Old 03-14-06, 02:31 PM
Red face

I suspect that the turn signal switch is the culprit. Thanks for all of the replies