Electrical problem

Old 02-14-06, 06:05 PM
Electrical problem

My son has a 1986 Bronco 2. Yesterday he went to the bank & when he came out it would not start. It has nothing, no accesorys,lights nothing at all.
I put a test light to the starter solonid on the fender & there was no juice at the positive terminal on the solonid. I unhooked all wires from that post & the light lit up. I started adding wires one by one untill the test light went out. The wire that made it go out is a blk/orange with a fuseable link. I looked at a wiring diagram & it shows that the wire goes from the solonid to the alternator to the ignition switch & the fuse block. I unhooked all wires from the alt. & it will not light the test light. I unhooked all wires from the steering column & still will not light the test light. When I put the test light on the solonid without the blk/org wire it lights up. As soon as I touch that blk/org wire to the solonid the light goes out. That tells me it is going to a direct short, correct? Any ideas? Also when the blk/org wire is unhooked there is still no power anywhere.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-06, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by racefan
My son has a 1986 Bronco 2. Yesterday he went to the bank & when he came out it would not start. It has nothing, no accesorys,lights nothing at all.
I put a test light to the starter solonid on the fender & there was no juice at the positive terminal on the solonid. I unhooked all wires from that post & the light lit up. I started adding wires one by one untill the test light went out. The wire that made it go out is a blk/orange with a fuseable link. I looked at a wiring diagram & it shows that the wire goes from the solonid to the alternator to the ignition switch & the fuse block. I unhooked all wires from the alt. & it will not light the test light. I unhooked all wires from the steering column & still will not light the test light. When I put the test light on the solonid without the blk/org wire it lights up. As soon as I touch that blk/org wire to the solonid the light goes out. That tells me it is going to a direct short, correct? Any ideas? Also when the blk/org wire is unhooked there is still no power anywhere.
The first thing I like to replace starter solonid as it can be shorting in side unit. Check all wires for heat damage.