1997 dodge caravan [email protected] engine

Old 02-15-06, 05:12 PM
1997 dodge caravan [email protected] engine

hey all ,

i have a 1997 dodge caravan, 74,000 miles on it,3.3 liter engine, drive mostly around town. it has just developed a ticking sound that seems to come from the back valve cover, i'm guessing a lifter not getting oil, or is in need of adjustment. i must admit that i have'nt been the best at changing oil at 3000 miles / 3 months but i really don't do much driving in it. i've got a dodge dealer around here in my area begging me to trade up to a newer vehicle(because of the low mileage on the van) but with it ticking they may just run me off the lot.
any thoughts of what i can do to at least quiet down the thing? i had the oil /filter changed yesterday, no change with the ticking. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

barry

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-06, 06:07 PM
It could be a lifter....what oil weight, oil filter? 3,000 miles or 3 months is a good regimen, but thats the old days, newer oils are much better so it shouldn't be your oil changing regimen that has done it. You could try a high mileage oil to see if it'll help.

Old 02-15-06, 06:28 PM
they put 5w-30w oil in it, basic run of the mill oil filter, whatever precision tune puts in. thanks for the quick reply.

barry

Old 02-15-06, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by brentwoodpmg
hey all ,

i have a 1997 dodge caravan, 74,000 miles on it,3.3 liter engine, drive mostly around town. it has just developed a ticking sound that seems to come from the back valve cover, i'm guessing a lifter not getting oil, or is in need of adjustment. i must admit that i have'nt been the best at changing oil at 3000 miles / 3 months but i really don't do much driving in it. i've got a dodge dealer around here in my area begging me to trade up to a newer vehicle(because of the low mileage on the van) but with it ticking they may just run me off the lot.
any thoughts of what i can do to at least quiet down the thing? i had the oil /filter changed yesterday, no change with the ticking. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

barry
Try a can of oil addadive for dirty lifters. one that also frees up sticky liters.

Old 02-16-06, 06:12 PM
i put a qt. of resolne additive to quite down the noise, as the lable says, but, after driving it today ( over 30 miles) the noise didn't decrease. i just want to get it quite while i'm on this lot to trade up. i know i could fix the problem, but i live in an apt. complex that does'nt allow anyone to work on their cars. what do you guys think?
barry

Old 02-16-06, 06:18 PM
I'm not a try this and that additive person, but i've heard some say marvel mystery oil can lessen or stop it when used in the oil..... I have no idea if it does even though i use it myself, but in the gas. It does clean though....

Old 02-16-06, 07:21 PM
i used to swear by this stuff when i had cars that i knew how to work on,
from the 50's to some of the 80's,i got old(hey it happens to all of us, if we're
lucky, and believe me i am) and got to the point that i don't even want to change my own oil. anyways, i know that it is just one lifter, and before i can trade it i will need to tone it down (should of done it last week before the noise started). i'm not tring to hoodoo the guy but, i am not able to work on the thing
to correct it (apartment compex). whatta ya think about a motor flush?
and are there any problems that might arise out of this procedure?

barry

Old 02-16-06, 08:06 PM
Most engine flushes are kerosene, and if there was any sludge build up, get knocked off and clog the oil pickup screen. Thats a risk you take with em. Auto tranny fluid does nothing either, nor seafoam. I've actually have had good luck cleaning sludgy old mower engines with partial fill of MMO in the oil. Actually since your going to get rid of it, isn't too cold around there? Its safe to put 15w-40 oil in it, and could quite it.

Old 02-16-06, 08:31 PM
Based for what I've seen , if you're gonna trade it in dont even bother to fix the ticking sound the dealership will not give you more for it, they'll just go for whatever mileage and what their book says,will give it a good clean up and send it to the auction.
Not to be harsh but that's what they do to all cars not fairly new.

Old 02-16-06, 08:53 PM
I have a 94 Plymouth Voyager SE with 170K. About a year ago, it was making the same noise you are describing. I changed the oil using three and a half quarts of full synthetic and the rest a synthetic blend. Within a day or two the noise went away and hasn't returned since.

best wishes.

Old 02-16-06, 09:01 PM
Lightbulb

i put a qt. of resolne additive to quite down the noise, as the lable says, but, after driving it today ( over 30 miles) the noise didn't decrease. i just want to get it quite while i'm on this lot to trade up. i know i could fix the problem, but i live in an apt. complex that does'nt allow anyone to work on their cars. what do you guys think?
barry
If you want to decrease the engine noise down use stp oil additive
then trade it in fast.Just a idea.

Old 02-16-06, 09:25 PM
Stp oil treatment, thickens the oil (why I mentioned using 15w-40) and just adds zinc. Valvolines synpower oil treatment has been shown to have lots more additives, and more of them. rdn2113, what brand synthetic was this? Some syns do have a good sludge cleaning ability to them.

Old 02-17-06, 03:13 AM
rislone usually works good at stopping hydrualic lifter noise but it may take a while, if it still making the noise after driving for a week there is probably no additive, flush, or heavier oil that will fix the problem and if you want it quite it will probably require some repairs done to the engine specifically the valvetrain if it is a valvetrain related noise.

Old 02-17-06, 04:40 AM
Originally Posted by bejay
rislone usually works good at stopping hydrualic lifter noise but it may take a while, if it still making the noise after driving for a week there is probably no additive, flush, or heavier oil that will fix the problem and if you want it quite it will probably require some repairs done to the engine specifically the valvetrain if it is a valvetrain related noise.
Exactly
Personally I use the Marvel Mystery Oil, but it's the same idea though
If Rislone or MMM doesn't clear it up (after some more miles-30 won't cut it), it's mechanical

Old 02-19-06, 05:41 PM
i'm going to have to keep the van for a little while(the dealer and i could'nt come up with a deal,they wanted 200.00 more a month in payments than i was willing to give). the van is in really great shape, no dents or dings, just that noise it seems to be making at the lifters(i'm guessing on the problem). i was told by a guy who collects older mopar cars and he said that one of the oil ports to the lifters maybe blocked, stopping oil flow. he suggested that i put a pint of kero in then, run it for a bit then drain and refill w new oil and filter. i was also told by a nascar engineer if i did that i would also have to drop the oil pan to get rid of the junk that would drop to the oil pan and to make sure that the pick -up screen was'nt clogged up. i'm going to take the thing and have the motor flushed, i guess, since i can't do it here where i live (no idea of what is normally charged, any ideas?) just wanted to post this info so that those of you that have a place to really work on your cars might gain something from this info.

barry

Old 02-20-06, 04:05 AM
Add additive, pull the oil pan, alot of guessing to fix a ticking noise. If it was mine i would pull the valve cover you think its coming from and find out why it was ticking. Maybe a loose rocker arm out of adjustment.

Old 02-20-06, 11:38 AM
Kero's a bad idea, a flush is not a good idea, and the nascar guy is how old? About the only oil that should leave deposits in the pan is a non detergent oil, and thats getting hard to find. Your todays oils should, given that the engine isn't ingesting coolant into the oil, pcv valves working, etc. should keep it clean for the most part, unless its a sludge prone engine. Your safer off running a half to a pull quart of mmo to clean the lifter out, doesn't help, well sure i'd take a crack at pulling the cover, but with these newer vehicles, and where you live...... its alot of stuff to move out of the way to get to it.

Old 02-20-06, 04:20 PM
v8 (and all),

thanks for all of the responses. please note v8 that i posted that the guy that wanted me to put kero into the oil was a mopar collector, not the engineer from nascar who is leaning more toward your way of thinking other than just tearing the thing apart(engineers always love to tear things apart, they watch modern marvels on the history channel and fondle themselves). and you ain't tellin' no stories about the stuff you would have to remove to get to the back valve cover. i kinda wish i knew what type of lifter system that this engine uses(nascar guy is not around for the next few months, 3.3 liter). can't find anything on the net that has anything to show about engine diagrams.
again, thanks for all of the help yall have provided and any other future suggestions.

barry

Old 02-20-06, 07:15 PM
Moparguy and Nascareng are both correct
Kero or Gunk engine flush (same dif) could possibly clear up small sludge deposits
This is a common "trick" for older cars with deposits from poor or extra-long waits between servicing and older pre-gov't-reg oils
They also could, if it's really gunked up, break off enough to get chunks that could get caught in the oil pickup etc., resulting in the need to pull the pan

As v8d says, today's oils are pretty clean
You'd have to have been really bad and cheap about oil changes to get so much filth in your engine it's crusting up
If you want to check that-pull a valve cover
And while your in there like cd says, check the rockers

bj, 442, and ss are right in that a slight ticking can be cured by Rislone or MMO, and if it can't, it's mechanical

And...sorry, it's getting long here...rdn's right the synth can quiet it too, and Lou's right, a tick won't make a bit of dif on the trade-in...whew...
Looks like there's more but I'm getting tired
lol

Well, there's lot's of good advice here
Hope it helps

Old 02-21-06, 06:03 PM
thank you all for the responses that have been posted, yes, i have been bad about changing the oil at prescibed times, but i don't drive it enough, i guess this should be a lesson to all, that no matter the milage( mine was less than 800 miles but more than 8 months) change the oil @ the three month time period. i would still like to know if anyone knows of a free site that offers diagrams to this engine, or should i just get a book?
thanks again everybody,
barry

Old 02-21-06, 09:41 PM
thank you all for the responses that have been posted, yes, i have been bad about changing the oil at prescibed times, but i don't drive it enough, i guess this should be a lesson to all, that no matter the milage( mine was less than 800 miles but more than 8 months) change the oil @ the three month time period. i would still like to know if anyone knows of a free site that offers diagrams to this engine, or should i just get a book?
thanks again everybody,
barry

Maybe I'm wrong but the real lesson should be do not use cheap oil/filter, 8 months is not a lot for a good quality oil if miles are low,assuming level is checked often and car is not burning oil or leaking.

Old 02-22-06, 10:59 AM
Nope, all you have to worry about is fuel dilution and water getting in the oil from short trips, as long as the engine gets good and heated up every once in a while for 30 minutes or so drive maybe, its ok.

Old 02-22-06, 03:42 PM
that may be my biggest problem, i work where i live(apartment maintenance supervisor) so i don't really drive the van that often. the stores, the fast food places, etc. are less than a mile away.
once a month or so i'll go to see my inlaws 21 miles away, or go to some of the other properties that my company owns when they are having problems no more than a 25 mile radius. the van does'nt leak or smoke, has'nt lost any power, i swear if you saw it you would think that it just rolled off the assembly
line. the oil that has been used has always been castrol, and believe it or not, i really do check the levels often. again, thanks everyone for all the help, advice and suggestions.
barry

Old 02-25-06, 03:38 PM
hey everyone,
just a update, traded the ticking time bomb for a new dodge ram 1500.
don't anybody buy a grand caravan, 1997, white,with low mileage, for a while.
thanks for all the help and suggestions.

barry