steering wheel won't unlock?

Old 02-16-06, 02:24 PM
steering wheel won't unlock?

I have a new to me 1992 Lexus Sc400

I had lost the key and the key code on the cylinder did not match the lock. So I had the locks rekeyed, and I had to drill out the ignition cylinder lock and replace it with one from the junk yard.

The car starts just fine now, and will shift into drive. But the steering wheel is locked now and won't budge.

Any ideas on what I can do? Or where the mechanism is that controls the lock mechanism on the steering wheel?

Help a med student out here, I don't really want to have to tow the car to a dealership.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-06, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by sdastg1
I have a new to me 1992 Lexus Sc400

I had lost the key and the key code on the cylinder did not match the lock. So I had the locks rekeyed, and I had to drill out the ignition cylinder lock and replace it with one from the junk yard.

The car starts just fine now, and will shift into drive. But the steering wheel is locked now and won't budge.

Any ideas on what I can do? Or where the mechanism is that controls the lock mechanism on the steering wheel?

Help a med student out here, I don't really want to have to tow the car to a dealership.

thanks
The mechanism is that controls the lock mechanism is under steering wheel. The key lock controls steering lock.The replacememt my be to short to move lock pin.

Old 02-16-06, 09:48 PM
steering wheels is one of the most complex and important accessories in your car... if you know someone who's a mechanic or one who knows how to fix it, don't hesitate to ask for their help. it's better for you that you're around when they do it so you'll know now the next time it happened again..

i found this link the same thing that you're worrying about.

http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/...ges/23980.html