95 Ford Contour CAT Glowing RED HOT!

Old 02-16-06, 04:02 PM
Question 95 Ford Contour CAT Glowing RED HOT!

My neighbor has a 95 Ford Contour with 138K miles.
He observed and I also saw the catalic Converter so hot it was glowing. The check engine light is not on.
Is this normal? I knew they got very hot but I had no idea they glowed red.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-06, 06:04 PM
Sounds like its time for a new one....

Old 02-16-06, 06:17 PM
i had a car that the cat glowed red also, i replaced it then there was'nt anymore glow anymore. i broke apart the thing, and there was like, no more of the honey comb suff left in the converter. hope this helps a little.
barry

Old 02-17-06, 04:22 PM
Unhappy Hot Cat!

OK. If it was my car and it didn't have other problems, I 'd be tempted to poke a large hole thru the center or part it out, but his skills are not mechanical, he's had the car for more than 60K and doesn't know if/when the timing belt was replaced and the exaust system has at least 3 leaks, so I advised him to sell. He probably won't get what the engine and tranny would sell for.
Even Midas would hand out a big bill for this one!

Old 02-17-06, 07:03 PM
Ouch.... maybe you could teach him some, or show him this site? Even though its a ford, its still got alot of life left in it. Now if the belt has not been changed, not knowing if its a interference engine, if it is one..... when it goes, valves hit the pistons....not a good thing.... hey, if you know how to do a little work on it, and well fluids have been done regularly (even if it was a quicky lube) be great as a run around car.

Old 02-17-06, 08:10 PM
Hot Cat!

Interference? Might be. It's a DOHC. More of them are interference than SOHC. The only time that matters is if the belt breaks before you get around to changing it.
One thing I was wondering about. The engine was missing so I checked his plugs and while they were out, did a compression check. All cyllinders were even but the reading was between 160 and 170 which I thought was high, but it didn't concern me at the time, which was before we noticed the cat glowing(and smelling). HOWEVER, could the high compression be caused by a clogged cat?
BTW, if it was a later model(OBD2 instead of OBD1) would the cat problem post a code and turn on the check-engine light?

Old 02-17-06, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by CybersaurusREXX
Interference? Might be. It's a DOHC. More of them are interference than SOHC. The only time that matters is if the belt breaks before you get around to changing it.
One thing I was wondering about. The engine was missing so I checked his plugs and while they were out, did a compression check. All cyllinders were even but the reading was between 160 and 170 which I thought was high, but it didn't concern me at the time, which was before we noticed the cat glowing(and smelling). HOWEVER, could the high compression be caused by a clogged cat?
BTW, if it was a later model(OBD2 instead of OBD1) would the cat problem post a code and turn on the check-engine light?
Check co2 sensor.