Headlamp cleaning trix.

Old 02-19-06, 06:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Headlamp cleaning trix.

Hi folks nothing major.
These plastic headlamp lenses, after years of road dirt,they 've become foggy from dirt/salt abrasion,
Any tricks to restoring them somewhat, Hard to see at night.
I've tried brake fluid, helped a little.(chryslar, minivan '98)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-06, 06:28 AM
On our 99 mini, I have tried wet sanding, lots of water, very fine paper. Not much help, I ended up buying new ones (wife is mucho happy with me).

Old 02-19-06, 07:20 AM
A little elbow grease and.......will work

Just get some Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish. Apply it by the directions with a soft cloth...after that remove any excess with windex. Also...if you have any grease spots on your car...windex is great for taking that off too..good luck and if anything by aftermarket replacements...they are generally cheaper....www.ebay.com is your best bet.

Old 02-19-06, 07:48 AM
Same problem on my 95 Neon, but my 99' caravan os o.k. for now. I used a medium rubbing compound, then a fine after that, and applied a coat of wax after. First time I decided to try it, was with a damp sponge and a box of Baking soda, which is a good, fine rubbing compound,& cheap, as well as readily available. Worked good with baking soda, but required a little more manual labor.
We've used baking soda for polishing out scratches on countertops, and it brings up a shine, so I tried it here, and it did the trick.

Old 02-19-06, 03:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Thanks all,
I was afraid to use a rubbing compound, I did'nt want to "compound" the problem. but it makes sence I'll try it.

Old 02-19-06, 05:11 PM
Bubba Bob
Visiting Guest
Old 02-19-06, 09:20 PM
If you're going to buy a replacement headlamp lens, at least try this before you do. I've got a glass tea kettle and after about a month, cooking grease really builds up on it and so I hit it with Easy Off oven cleaner. It gets it spotless. It might ruin your head light's glass if it's hard clear plastic... but if it is glass, it's easy as all heck and will get everything off.

Old 02-19-06, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by lectriclee
Hi folks nothing major.
These plastic headlamp lenses, after years of road dirt,they 've become foggy from dirt/salt abrasion,
Any tricks to restoring them somewhat, Hard to see at night.
I've tried brake fluid, helped a little.(chryslar, minivan '98)

Thanks
AutoZone sells a compound specially formulated for this,it's only about a dollar per packet, located in the bulb/lamps aisle. ( not in car detail area ).

Old 02-20-06, 09:45 AM
i use a product called mirror glaze on lexan windshields that works well. haven't tried it on headlight covers.