1972 Chevy 350 to electronic ignition.

Old 02-19-06, 02:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1972 Chevy 350 to electronic ignition.

Hey guys, I have a 1972 Chevy pickup with a 350 and I am interested in switching from the original points distrubtor to an electronic ignition type.

Should I use a conversion kit or can I just get a newer(1975 or so) distributor and change the plug wires?

Not sure what all is involved and I could use some advice. Thanks, ST.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-06, 02:42 PM
First thing you'll want to check is for clearance at the firewall. The HEI distributor is much larger around than the breaker point distributor and I have seen some conversions get fouled up by a lack of clearance.

If you're good to go, slam in an HEI distributor and a set of wires.... two things to remember... you'll need to regap the spark plugs to (IIRC) 0.045" and you'll need to feed the distributor a full 12 volys with the jey in the rub position (the factory set-up has a resistor in line used to protect the ignition system from full battery voltage).

Old 02-19-06, 02:44 PM
pick up a junk yard HEI with a solid feel (bushings) . you just need to wire 12vdc power from the ignitiion switch or remove the resistor from the points curcuit. it's a good mod you won't regret. i't throw in a new cap and rotror while you're at it.

Old 02-19-06, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the tips. I found a Pertronix kit on Summit racings website that will drop right into my existing distributor and I can use the same plug wires and all. Sounds like a great deal but I was wondering if you guys had seen these before? They sell for $75. Thanks, ST.

Old 02-19-06, 06:16 PM
a factory gm hei will fit in your vehicle with no clearance problems you will have to change plug wires though that would be the best way of converting over to electronic ignition it is a very reliable ignition system, versus the conversion kits that uses your old distributer and often your old coil also.
check out summit part number SUM-850001R for a very reasonable priced hei that looks like it includes everything you need except plug wires and a power wire that plugs into the cap.