Brake pads screeching

Old 02-19-06, 09:31 PM
Brake pads screeching

So about a thousand miles or so ago I installed some new brake pads. EBC's green stuff to be exact. I drive a 2003 Mazda Protege5, 4 cyl. 2.0L, front wheel drive. I forget what brand I used for the rear disc brake pads, but I'm pretty sure my brake trouble is coming from the more pricey EBC pads I slapped on the front wheels. Anyway, so the high pitched screeching was expected, I'm sure I'll never get rid of that, but now there's a new sound that comes when I have to brake hard or stop short. It's like a screeching without that high pitched noise. It's similar to bare metals rubbing together. It's loud and definitely out of the ordinary. I'm not too worried about it because I feel it's probably a somewhat shabby fit, I don't think my rotors need to be milled but they're likely not exactly flush with the pads maybe. The car stops just fine, and the braking power is actually better than ever. I'm thinking maybe because I didn't use any brake grease on the back of the pads (or anywhere for that matter)? Or is it that I need to change out my brake fluid, and has nothing to do with these new pads? What are your thoughts? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-06, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by seancashmere
So about a thousand miles or so ago I installed some new brake pads. EBC's green stuff to be exact. I drive a 2003 Mazda Protege5, 4 cyl. 2.0L, front wheel drive. I forget what brand I used for the rear disc brake pads, but I'm pretty sure my brake trouble is coming from the more pricey EBC pads I slapped on the front wheels. Anyway, so the high pitched screeching was expected, I'm sure I'll never get rid of that, but now there's a new sound that comes when I have to brake hard or stop short. It's like a screeching without that high pitched noise. It's similar to bare metals rubbing together. It's loud and definitely out of the ordinary. I'm not too worried about it because I feel it's probably a somewhat shabby fit, I don't think my rotors need to be milled but they're likely not exactly flush with the pads maybe. The car stops just fine, and the braking power is actually better than ever. I'm thinking maybe because I didn't use any brake grease on the back of the pads (or anywhere for that matter)? Or is it that I need to change out my brake fluid, and has nothing to do with these new pads? What are your thoughts? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Well so you know front brakes provide about 75 % of your stopping power , did you have the discs turned when you put in the new pads ? it's only about $ 7 a piece at your local autoparts store...and it makes a huge difference in performance and wear.

Old 02-20-06, 09:45 AM
Lou, would it be a good idea for me to do that now, after the new pads have been on for some time? By discs, you mean my rotors right? So should I do it now anyway or not?

Old 02-20-06, 12:00 PM
Lou, would it be a good idea for me to do that now, after the new pads have been on for some time? By discs, you mean my rotors right? So should I do it now anyway or not?

Yeah if it's only been 1000 miles I would definetely do it now, check condition of pads anyways, without rotors turned they wear pretty fast.

Old 02-20-06, 12:35 PM
Okay, so you'd estimate that my rotors would be my only issue here? It couldn't possibly be anything else? What other possibilities are out there for me to explore?

Old 02-20-06, 02:12 PM
Not the fluid
Unfortunatly I know of no-one that has actually used the EBC Greens
I know they are "supposed" to be quiet
It could very well be the lack of "disc quiet" on the pad backs or lack of proper lube in the right spots for your brakes

Not knowing the state of your rotors, it's hard to say if they are the culprit
How many miles are on them?
Are there grooves or glazing on them?

Your rotors may not be turnable
Many modern rotors are thin and lightweight, but meant to be replaced, not turned
Check with your local shop or parts place that turns rotors
If they say they can't turn them, you may want to replace them

Old 02-20-06, 06:05 PM
thanks slickshift. The car has 32K miles on it, and so too do the rotors. I've only changed the brake pads just once. I was looking at EBC's rotors which are only about $143 on AJUSA.com but still... I don't have that much. Maybe I'll just get some brake grease and try that before I even try getting my rotors turn. I really don't believe they'd need to be resurfaced, they were never under any adverse conditions, but who really knows what warps and pits and mishapes these things? Anyway, so where do I apply this grease? A dollop to the back of the pads (where they meet the caliper), anywhere else?

Old 02-20-06, 07:20 PM
...only about $143...

I guess those get turned

Did the pads come with any instructions about "anti-squeal"?

Old 02-21-06, 04:08 AM
Did they come with any anti-squealing directions? Not to my knowledge, just some guidlines for breaking them in. That price is for a pair of EBC rotors. I only looked into the to go with my EBC brake pads... I'm sure I could find something cheaper... how much cheaper, however, is besides me. I think I'll try applying some brake grease before I do anything. So again I'll ask, where other than to the bake of the brake pads, do I apply the grease?

Old 02-21-06, 04:45 AM
on back

The anti squeal goes on the back of each pad no place else

Old 02-21-06, 09:32 AM
Alright, sorry for sounding anal, but do I apply the grease to the back of the shims (where the metal shims come in contact with the caliper) or the inside of the shims (where the metal shims come in contact with the back of the brake pads) or to both sides?

Old 02-21-06, 02:59 PM
no prob

It goes between the shim and the pad good question.

Old 02-21-06, 03:45 PM
Whoops... just thought about that for a second and I don't believe that it could possibly go there (between the shim and the pad). There is an adhesive on the side of the shim in contact with the pad. I bought a $0.99 pack of synthetic brake lube and it says to apply it between the pad and the caliper so I'll do it between the shim and caliper. I'll let you boys know the outcome.

Old 02-24-06, 08:23 PM
Okay, so I applied the grease to the backs of the front passenger side brake pads. Immediately, almost all the screeching stopped. I didn't have the time to do the driver's side, nor will I be able to do it in the near future because it's just going to be too cold out, but as soon as another mid 40 degree day rolls around where I'm not extrememly busy, I'll get to the driver's side. Looks like I won't be bothering with shaving the rotors.