car won't start

Old 02-20-06, 06:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy car won't start

I have a 2002 GMC Safari that has been making a screeching noise when I start it for the last couple of weeks. Now this morning when I went out to start it, it won't start, it just makes a fluttering noise. (That's the only way I can think to describe it!) Before I call my husband at work to see what he wants me to do (he's been working overtime 18 hours a day on this storm!) I'd like to have SOME idea of what kind of repair and costs we're looking at. ANY ideas would be helpful, ASAP! Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-06, 07:59 AM
just guessing, the noise was the alternator belt trying to turn a bad alternator that also has not been charging the battery.

Old 02-20-06, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by carolion
I have a 2002 GMC Safari that has been making a screeching noise when I start it for the last couple of weeks. Now this morning when I went out to start it, it won't start, it just makes a fluttering noise. (That's the only way I can think to describe it!) Before I call my husband at work to see what he wants me to do (he's been working overtime 18 hours a day on this storm!) I'd like to have SOME idea of what kind of repair and costs we're looking at. ANY ideas would be helpful, ASAP! Thanks

Another guess , it sounds like your belt is in really bad shape combined with a bad alternator/battery,check all fluids before you attempt to start it again, inspect belt condition, if you can check voltage on battery ( min. 12 volts ) post results back.

Old 02-20-06, 12:41 PM
Arrow car started

Thanks, guys for the help. Jumped the battery with some help from a friend and those were his thoughts, too. He suggested getting a new battery and going from there. My feeling is if it's the alternator it will kill a new battery too. Husband still working.

Old 02-20-06, 01:17 PM
A lot of auto part stores such as autozone will test the battery and charging system for free. You might need a new belt.

Old 02-20-06, 01:54 PM
Yes
Don't replace something w/o testing it first
Many DIY parts places and most Sears/WesternAuto etc.-type places will test your bat and alt for n/c

It could be that belt has not been turning the alt for sometime, or the alt has been going and now the bat is dead because it's not been charged

That could be a belt or an alt rather than a bat

It's best to test

Old 02-20-06, 02:12 PM
my 2 cents

I venture to say it is also the alternator not charging battery however from my past experience I have found that once a battery goes dead and one as old as yours it is never the same anyway.

Old 02-20-06, 05:34 PM
Talking problem gone???!!!

OK, update. We jumped the battery at 11:45 AM and it's running really well now, no more screeching noise at all on turning the key! Before he jumped it he took the connectors off the battery and wiped them (no corrosion) and tightened them up. Could this have been the only problem? (Husband NOT home YET)

Old 02-20-06, 06:15 PM
good deal

Yes corrosion on battery posts will not charge battery if you have a multimetear check for voltage at battery posts should be around 13.5 volts with engine running at a little above idle.

Old 02-20-06, 07:16 PM
Could be
Hope so
Good luck