96 Ford Taurus GL over heated

Old 02-20-06, 09:08 AM
Arrow 96 Ford Taurus GL over heated

I recently purchased a 96 Ford Taurus GL, 3.0 V6 with 119000 miles. The car has been working fine in the city and on short(10-20 mile) highway trips. Today I drove it to work and about a third of the way there I noticed that my heat was no longer working, and the temp gauge had also gone up. I work about 50 miles from home all highway, I was on Cruise going 70mph when the temp went up. When I lowered my speed it cooled off but not to the midpoint like usual.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-06, 09:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
First check the coolant level, and add if needed. However, it is probably a stuck thermostat which needs replacing.

Old 02-20-06, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by A_tatejr
I recently purchased a 96 Ford Taurus GL, 3.0 V6 with 119000 miles. The car has been working fine in the city and on short(10-20 mile) highway trips. Today I drove it to work and about a third of the way there I noticed that my heat was no longer working, and the temp gauge had also gone up. I work about 50 miles from home all highway, I was on Cruise going 70mph when the temp went up. When I lowered my speed it cooled off but not to the midpoint like usual.

Check Thermostat, Water Pump, Coolant Level, Make sure electric fan kicks in too even though I dont think it supposed to work when you're on the freeway.
I dont want to be the bad news carrier but Tauruses are infamous for a variety of problems, next time get a chevy

Old 02-20-06, 11:59 AM
Talking

Thank you gentleman. a little piece of advice never let your friend check the fluids, sometimes they leave the cap off. Coolant was everywhere other then where it was supposed to be.

As for the chevy remark NO WAY!
2 93 Lincoln Mark VIII
1 96 Ford Taurus

FORD FOREVER!!!!

Old 02-20-06, 02:19 PM
Ford

He is right Taurus is trouble prone I have one and I am scared to drive it for fear something might break. I have a 2000 I like it it is a solid car but I hate that feeling of will it make it.
Now my power steering is groaning it just started that Ford just needs to pay more attention to quality IMO.