Fuel pump problem?

Old 02-21-06, 04:01 PM
Fuel pump problem?

I have a 2000 Blazer that refuses to start as soon as it gets close to zero, yet starts runs great as soon as the weather warms up. Last weekend, wouldn't start, checked new battery, spark, had gas from fuel pump, couldn't get any cylinders to fire off. Fuel pump pressure today was 62 psig, was told in the 58 psig range car wont start. Whats the normal fuel pump range? Can outside temp affect the fuel pump that much? $700 or so to replace the pump, dont want to unless I have to. Driving me crazy that I cant figure this out nor can the dealer!!

Any help........thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-06, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by walkerstoo
I have a 2000 Blazer that refuses to start as soon as it gets close to zero, yet starts runs great as soon as the weather warms up. Last weekend, wouldn't start, checked new battery, spark, had gas from fuel pump, couldn't get any cylinders to fire off. Fuel pump pressure today was 62 psig, was told in the 58 psig range car wont start. Whats the normal fuel pump range? Can outside temp affect the fuel pump that much? $700 or so to replace the pump, dont want to unless I have to. Driving me crazy that I cant figure this out nor can the dealer!!

Any help........thanks
FUEL PUMP RANGE IS 40-45 PSI HAVE YOU CHANGE FUEL FILTER PLUS MAKE SURE FUEL PRESSURE FEGULATOR IS HOLDING PRESSURE AT 40-45 PSI.allso try gas line antifreeze in case of water in fuel lines.

Old 02-22-06, 12:32 PM
fuel and water

thanks...........fuel pressure ranges seem to vary a lot, I'm guessing that some are stated in psig and others in psi.

I'm in Iowa and using gas that is blended with ethanol, I guess I felt that would absorb any water that may have got in it

thanks for the help

Old 02-22-06, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by walkerstoo

Any help........thanks

Change spark plugs and switch to higher octane gasoline and see how it goes,must go to at least two full tanks of premium gas to notice any difference

Old 02-23-06, 01:16 PM
Hello, I read your post and it made me think about an odd problem that happened on my car once. Although it would start, it would run really rough until it warmed up. And, like you, I had taken it to a reputable dealer and they couldn't figure it out either. What it was on mine was it had a temperature sensor that would make the fuel injection enrich the delivery of gas to the engine when it was cold outside and the sensor was flaky. As it turned out, this particular problem didn't show up on the diagnostic codes, so it made it hard for it to be detected that way. Which is what most dealers rely upon to pinpoint the problem.......... I don't know if you had your codes pulled or not or even if your getting a check engine light as you didn't indicate that in your post........ I would think that 50 or 60 lbs of pump pressure would be enough.......Anyway I think that your problem is temperature related because of what it says in your post. Good luck.

Search this Thread