1987 Nova

Old 02-22-06, 04:34 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1987 Nova

Hey whats up guys. im new to the forum and have a question. I have a 1987 chevy nova with a 4 cylinder engine. What engines will fit in that engine bay. Im looking for something i can find at a junkyard or something cheap with some decent power. or at least a good platform to mod off of.. ex turbo/super charger. Or maybe something good for the N/A route.

Old 02-22-06, 05:03 PM
350 cubic inch small block.

Old 02-22-06, 05:15 PM
C
what cars would i find that engine in

Old 02-22-06, 05:34 PM
M
350s

You would find them in many chevrolets.A good engine however I do not think it will fit I had a 86 Nova (toyota corolla) with a chev badge. Your car is front wheel drive and by the time you fab and shoehorn the chev into your car you are past your request to stay cheap.
You will have to do some major mods and I mean major to get it to work.

Old 02-22-06, 05:39 PM
M
question

Just a question whats wrong with the 87 you have now?you just want more power or is it worn out?
My 86 nova with I venture to say the same engine was not fast but very dependable and very good on gas.

Old 02-22-06, 08:05 PM
O
Originally Posted by colombiano
Hey whats up guys. im new to the forum and have a question. I have a 1987 chevy nova with a 4 cylinder engine. What engines will fit in that engine bay. Im looking for something i can find at a junkyard or something cheap with some decent power. or at least a good platform to mod off of.. ex turbo/super charger. Or maybe something good for the N/A route.
Try 86 Toyota twin over head cam GT engine. Good on gas and tons of power.

Old 02-22-06, 09:09 PM

V8 is right you can't go wrong with a 305/ 5.0L or a 350 /5.7 L small block, if you want even more power there's lots of mods you can do on them too.

Old 02-22-06, 09:35 PM
Lots of mods for the 350, heck turn it into a stroker.

Old 02-23-06, 03:35 AM
M
key requirment

You guys forget the posters key requirments it must fit number one and number two must be cheap.
First it wont fit and number two the car comes with a 1.6 fwd.He would have to build a frame install a rear end to convert to RWD etc. My 86 Nova had very little room in the engine bay and a small block would not fit unless you cut lots of fenders off.
He could fabricate a fiberglass shell and just place it on a tube frame like a funny car.

Old 02-23-06, 08:31 AM
C
i dont really care what the car ends up LOOKING like. so if i cut the fenders thats no biggie.

Old 02-23-06, 08:55 AM
M
long story short

Your car is a front wheel drive and the only way if you could get a chevrolet V8 in there would make it rear wheel drive.You would have to replace all steering parts put a frame on the car make a tunnel for the drive shaft,I do not know how you would put the transmission in.You would have to get and fab a new radiatior and support ugrade brakes for extra weight and the list goes on.
The car you have now is a unibody and if you start chopping it up it will bend like a soda can.I have seen small V6 engines put into something like a luv pickup but it had a frame to start with and some mods had to still be done to make it happen.
It is a little more involved then just putting a V8 into the hole.

Old 02-23-06, 10:11 AM
C
so i should loko at v6...if sooo which one??

Old 02-23-06, 10:49 AM
M
you should soup up what you have

You should soup up the engine you have or get another FWD (front wheel drive) engine.The problem is your car is not set up for a V8 or a V6.The V6 is shorter but still will need all the stuff as the V8.
I dont know maybe a 1.8l out of a corolla might fit with a lot fewer mods then a V6 or V8.
If you want performance just get a used Toyota Supra or something ,would be a lot cheaper then doing all the stuff that has to be done if you put a diffrent engine in a car not made for that style engine.

Old 02-23-06, 05:01 PM
O
Originally Posted by our442
Try 86 Toyota twin over head cam GT engine. Good on gas and tons of power.
*86 Twin ohc engine is 4 cyl. Engine.

Old 02-23-06, 08:23 PM
C
i found a 4AGE for 800 with tranny. will it fit???

Old 02-23-06, 08:36 PM
O
i found a 4AGE for 800 with tranny. will it fit???
Call dealer and ask them it will. I think it will with a bit of work. Allso try Scrap yard and ask them to check there booksfor fit.

Old 02-24-06, 04:39 PM
C
i called 3 dealers and 2 junkyards and they all told me they didnt know. soo i still dontknow. anyone else have any suggestions. i really like that 4A-GE option especially the more i look at it.

Old 02-24-06, 05:17 PM
O
i called 3 dealers and 2 junkyards and they all told me they didnt know. soo i still dontknow. anyone else have any suggestions. i really like that 4A-GE option especially the more i look at it.
Check engine compartment for size. Then get size of 4A-GE to see if it will fit. Chev. Nova uses Toyota engines in the nova line. I have had one years back and had put a Toyota Twin over head cam 4 cyl. in it. Dont remember how we did it. But it was a car to remember. Fast and good on gas. I scraped car in 2000 as body was falling apart.You must be good with tools and able to weld. Good luck.:nfunny:

Old 02-24-06, 05:55 PM
O
Originally Posted by our442
Check engine compartment for size. Then get size of 4A-GE to see if it will fit. Chev. Nova uses Toyota engines in the nova line. I have had one years back and had put a Toyota Twin over head cam 4 cyl. in it. Dont remember how we did it. But it was a car to remember. Fast and good on gas. I scraped car in 2000 as body was falling apart.You must be good with tools and able to weld. Good luck.:nfunny:
Think it over well before starting a job like this. Some times it can become a nightmare at the best of times. Some skills are needed to get engine and trans. in alignment is a must on any engine swop as mounts may need to be moved and welded in place. May not be your cup of tea. Hope this helps you to make up your mind one way or another.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: