Ford Festiva door...

Reply

  #1  
Old 02-23-06, 07:31 AM
Teresa
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Ford Festiva door...

We are painting my son's festiva (driver side) door & was wondering about the proper paint to use for it & what the overall cost would be. We want a quality outcome. Any tips would be greatly appreciated--
Thanks, Teresa
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 02-23-06, 09:27 AM
LouBazooka's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 553
Originally Posted by Teresa
We are painting my son's festiva (driver side) door & was wondering about the proper paint to use for it & what the overall cost would be. We want a quality outcome. Any tips would be greatly appreciated--
Thanks, Teresa



Keywords : Quality Outcome . Shop around Body Shops, have them do the paint job.
They have all the equipment,experience and the controlled environment to do the painting, not a DIY I.M.O.
 
  #3  
Old 02-23-06, 04:09 PM
Member
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Texas
Posts: 2,345
yep body shop

I also say body shop if you want quality will cost you less since you need to buy everything to do it paint gun compressor,tack rags,paint ,primer and more.Also prep work is very important door must be dent free.That is for Quality if you dont care a can of spray paint will do the trick.Get the paint code or bring in the whole car so they can match it.
 
  #4  
Old 02-24-06, 05:38 AM
Teresa
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
My underlying reason here is that a kid hit my son's festiva at school, his Mom says she'll pay for half the cost, but when I told her a quote (from a reputable guy who isn't charging for labor), she laughed & thought I was trying to get his whole car painted! Then added that her husband could do it for $25.00 with his spray gun!! After visiting numerous salvage yards, we finally found a door, off in color, but in great shape. I was looking for possible paint cost quotes: for primer, reducer, hardener, from this site (vs. visiting body shops...), I was told a quart of paint alone is $100. Any more info. you got would be great. Thanks again.
 
  #5  
Old 02-24-06, 09:05 AM
Member
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 361
Originally Posted by Teresa
My underlying reason here is that a kid hit my son's festiva at school, his Mom says she'll pay for half the cost, but when I told her a quote (from a reputable guy who isn't charging for labor), she laughed & thought I was trying to get his whole car painted! Then added that her husband could do it for $25.00 with his spray gun!! After visiting numerous salvage yards, we finally found a door, off in color, but in great shape. I was looking for possible paint cost quotes: for , from this site (vs. visiting body shops...), I was told a quart of paint alone is $100. Any more info. you got would be great. Thanks again.
Check out Ebay for paint and primer, reducer, hardener.
 
  #6  
Old 02-24-06, 02:24 PM
Member
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Texas
Posts: 2,345
not cheap

A good quality paint is not cheap 100 dollars a quart is possible of course it gets thinned out to spray.
Are you going to spray it yourself?
How much does the body shop want to spray the door?If he offers to spray it for 25 bucks (including paint) thats a good deal.I do not know if he will do a good job like a body shop would unless he does it all the time.
 
  #7  
Old 02-24-06, 03:01 PM
Teresa
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
I don't think anyone can prep, prime & paint a door for $25. I think she whipped that amount out of her mouth without realizing the true labor it takes. I guess I'll go visit some body shops, but thanks for everyone's input.
 
  #8  
Old 02-24-06, 10:27 PM
Member
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 361
Originally Posted by Teresa
I don't think anyone can prep, prime & paint a door for $25. I think she whipped that amount out of her mouth without realizing the true labor it takes. I guess I'll go visit some body shops, but thanks for everyone's input.
In Canada that paint job cost about $300 to paint door in shop.
 
  #9  
Old 02-25-06, 04:23 PM
the_tow_guy's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: SW Fla USA
Posts: 11,515
Considering the vehicle in question, this actually is a diy job. You can get all your materials here:

http://www.paintscratch.com/.

Couple of years ago the paint deteriorated really bad on my wife's previous car ('95 Camry) and I didn't want to spend the big bucks on it. Got, I think, 3 cans of the proper color in spray can form plus the clear coat for the topcoat. Actually came out pretty good. Wouldn't fool anyone who was looking close at the finish, but it was definitely a passable job. That site also has some excellent diy tips and instructions on how to get a good finish. The steps need to be followed closely and to the letter, but none of it is rocket science.

And I agree, nobody can shoot a car door using even remotely decent automotive-quality paint for $25.
 
  #10  
Old 02-28-06, 06:03 AM
Teresa
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Great site, thanks for sharing it. Maybe this'll make her realize that I wasn't just after her money!! Teresa
 
  #11  
Old 02-28-06, 06:47 AM
the_tow_guy's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: SW Fla USA
Posts: 11,515
Let us know how things turn out.
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
'