Heater Fan Not Working - '92 Ford Ranger

Old 02-18-06, 09:00 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Heater Fan Not Working - '92 Ford Ranger

I'm hoping there's a quick fix to this ... it's -28C. here!

The fan motor on my Ranger intermittently refuses to start (typically on the coldest day of the year It will work for a week then not for a day or so.

I think it is electrical because when I press the AC button (not that I need it), the red light doesn't even come on. (Note: the rotary control for the fan & the AC switch are the same control). Maybe this is related--the fan motor was making some whining sounds last month but they quit after about a week. Fan seemed good after that but I suspected that the motor was seizing up. Also, the truck is in rough shape so rust/bad connections & ground could be an issue.

Obviously I'm not a mechanic but I can tinker a bit, especially if I can see a picture of what I'm dealing with. Where exactly is the fan motor? What else could I check?

Any ideas appreciated.

Old 02-18-06, 10:23 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Check out the autozone web site. They have a good page on your heater blower - removal and installation.
Check for, and clean up any grounding spots. Rig a test light or use a volt meter to see that you have power at the blower when the switch is on. With a 14 year old blower, I would suspect that the brushes are about shot. This is a throwaway part, not usually rebuild able.

Old 02-18-06, 01:58 PM
E
Originally Posted by goldstar
With a 14 year old blower, I would suspect that the brushes are about shot. This is a throwaway part, not usually rebuild able.
As I suspected but I have to keep this truck limping along until I can afford a new one.

I had to run some errands today so while sitting at a red light, I fiddled with the vent control, banged the fan switch & even pulled out the ashtray. The fan started & ran for a while (the AC light came on too). Is it worth replacing the heater control panel or at least the rotary switch with a used one? I know it isn't in the long run but I would like to keep the heater running through this winter if possible.

Old 02-18-06, 02:32 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you used the "Armstrong" method of repair. May be a loose wire under the dash. It could be worthwhile to get under the dash and check to see that all wires concerned with the switch are securely terminated on each end.

Old 02-18-06, 04:47 PM
F
I would get a used fan motor from local scrap yard.
If you take it off your self it should not be very much and you will have practice taking it off. Take your own tools.
Even if you see an old truck like yours in a farmers field, you could ask for the old motor for $5 or $10
My bro has a 93 ranger that has a noisy heater fan motor. Good little trucks.

Old 02-19-06, 07:35 AM
E
Originally Posted by goldstar
Sounds like you used the "Armstrong" method of repair.
Well, you know how it is ... it's cold out there. Besides, there's no point in fixing it if it ain't broke yet

Old 02-19-06, 07:37 AM
E
Originally Posted by frankiee
I would get a used fan motor from local scrap yard.
Yup, I will do that in the spring. I don't have any place to work on it & as I keep saying, it's cold out there!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 02-23-06, 01:44 PM
E
Just thought I'd close off this thread with a happy ending. Thanks to Goldstar for pointing me at the Autozone site--great diagrams & help there After looking at the procedure for replacing the heater/AC control panel (STEP 1: remove ashtray STEP 2: remove rest of truck!), I was scared enough to take it in to my mechanic. Although I couldn't reach it, he managed to get his hand up behind the panel & found that the connector to the rotary switch was loose. Popped it back in place -- no charge (Of course, he pointed out that I need about $800 worth of front end work & a new power steering pump but other than that, no charge)

I guess that's why the 'Armstrong' method was working for a while huh Goldstar? The wire must have been just connecting enough to make a connection every once in a while.

Anyway, thanks for all the help. I'll be back

Old 02-24-06, 03:42 AM
F
Thanks for the link and hooking me up.

Well thanks Goldstar and Editor
I had no idea that site existed.
Its fantastic.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title: