Brake Pad R&r Job - Locked Up '96 Plymouth Voyager

Old 02-18-06, 06:13 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Brake Pad R&r Job - Locked Up '96 Plymouth Voyager

The pads wore out far too fast because the factory caliper seemed to stay engaged most of the time. Consequently, I had to replace the rotor, the caliper (I replaced it with a rebuilt - aftermarker unit), and new pads for BOTH sides.

I bled the brakes just on the side that I lost fluid in. (i.e. --- the replaced caliper side)I bought what the sore referred to as a "better" of the two choices for the rotor.

The pads were under 100% warranty so I got them for free...

I replaced only the pads on the passenger side last weekend, and I lubricated the heck out of any metal that could possibly MOVE. I did the passenger side this AM. (It took a whole 20 minutes)

In fact, to add insult to injury, my 5.5 yr old battery went to "old battery place", so I went out today & bought a new $C battery (ouch)

Fired up the car on a dime and got $.50 in change. Placed the '96 in reverse but it just sat there. I tried to accellerate -- it moved a couple of feet with much difficulty.

I changed gears to move forward. It SEEMED like it moved a LITTLE better than in reverse.

FRONT WHEEL drive vehicle.

I have to assume that my problem is on the drivers side.

Q.) Is something hanging up that needs adjusting?
Q.) Will the caliper release itself as I go forward?

Q.) ANY SUGGESTIONS

marwen

Old 02-18-06, 08:11 PM
O
Originally Posted by marwen
The pads wore out far too fast because the factory caliper seemed to stay engaged most of the time. Consequently, I had to replace the rotor, the caliper (I replaced it with a rebuilt - aftermarker unit), and new pads for BOTH sides.

I bled the brakes just on the side that I lost fluid in. (i.e. --- the replaced caliper side)I bought what the sore referred to as a "better" of the two choices for the rotor.

The pads were under 100% warranty so I got them for free...

I replaced only the pads on the passenger side last weekend, and I lubricated the heck out of any metal that could possibly MOVE. I did the passenger side this AM. (It took a whole 20 minutes)

In fact, to add insult to injury, my 5.5 yr old battery went to "old battery place", so I went out today & bought a new $C battery (ouch)

Fired up the car on a dime and got $.50 in change. Placed the '96 in reverse but it just sat there. I tried to accellerate -- it moved a couple of feet with much difficulty.

I changed gears to move forward. It SEEMED like it moved a LITTLE better than in reverse.

FRONT WHEEL drive vehicle.

I have to assume that my problem is on the drivers side.

Q.) Is something hanging up that needs adjusting?
Q.) Will the caliper release itself as I go forward?

Q.) ANY SUGGESTIONS

marwen
Did you seat caliper all the way in. Was it hard putting pads in caliper. When you do new pads always make shure wheel turns with ease before you lower van.Sounds like pads are to tight.

Old 02-20-06, 02:38 PM
M
caliper

Oh boy, what a nutty few days this has been with this caliper.

Apparently, there is a tube that has to be installed in between the front & the rear within the actual actual caliper. I HAVE NEVER CHANGED A CALIPER. It sure doesn't take a rocket scientist to change one, but nevertheless -= I made the change.

What was happenning is that the caliper slides wouldn't tighten till they hit the bottom of the threaded area. WITHOUT the "guides", I litterally OVERTIGHTENED. So much so, that when I took the pads off again to inspect things, the SLIDER BOLT had bit completely into the back side of the inner pad. LEAVING a HUGE imprint!

Had the retailer advised me of the replacement kit, we woudl have been OK in the first place.

The overall reason for the purchase of the caliper was that the DEALER had told me that I had a STICKY caliper.. OK -- buy a new or a rebuilt caliper.

When I saw today that the SLIDER bolts were now bent, of course, I have a sticky caliper.

A lot of B.S., but I'll wager with anyonem that had the dealer done the repair and found out what I did about the BENT sliders pins, thay would have made the new caliper install anyway.

SO, A new set of pads that were under a lifetime warranty, (free replacement) , a new rotor, I don't care how you spell that one one --- it's mine to buy, --- NO New caliper.

Basically, $60 cost and a lot of headaches, but then again, a lot cheaper than the dealership drilling me for amost $500.

marwen

Old 02-25-06, 01:08 PM
O
Oh boy, what a nutty few days this has been with this caliper.

Apparently, there is a tube that has to be installed in between the front & the rear within the actual actual caliper. I HAVE NEVER CHANGED A CALIPER. It sure doesn't take a rocket scientist to change one, but nevertheless -= I made the change.

What was happenning is that the caliper slides wouldn't tighten till they hit the bottom of the threaded area. WITHOUT the "guides", I litterally OVERTIGHTENED. So much so, that when I took the pads off again to inspect things, the SLIDER BOLT had bit completely into the back side of the inner pad. LEAVING a HUGE imprint!

Had the retailer advised me of the replacement kit, we woudl have been OK in the first place.

The overall reason for the purchase of the caliper was that the DEALER had told me that I had a STICKY caliper.. OK -- buy a new or a rebuilt caliper.

When I saw today that the SLIDER bolts were now bent, of course, I have a sticky caliper.

A lot of B.S., but I'll wager with anyonem that had the dealer done the repair and found out what I did about the BENT sliders pins, thay would have made the new caliper install anyway.

SO, A new set of pads that were under a lifetime warranty, (free replacement) , a new rotor, I don't care how you spell that one one --- it's mine to buy, --- NO New caliper.

Basically, $60 cost and a lot of headaches, but then again, a lot cheaper than the dealership drilling me for amost $500.

marwen
I allways replace pins when doing new pads.I allso replace calipers every 5 years. Glad you have it fixed.Happy brakeing.

Old 02-25-06, 04:20 PM
M
pads, etc

That sounds like some pretty good advice on those pins each time you change the pads. Boy, what a difference in just my "everday" braking. I "know", at this point, when I have to jam the brakes ON, that I'll do a good job at stopping.

marwen

Old 02-25-06, 07:14 PM
O
That sounds like some pretty good advice on those pins each time you change the pads. Boy, what a difference in just my "everday" braking. I "know", at this point, when I have to jam the brakes ON, that I'll do a good job at stopping.

marwen
Good to stop on dime.Your life depends on being able to stop (FAST)

Old 02-26-06, 06:21 AM
M
stopping fast

Well, yea! but moreso than just for me, I have a 7 year old child with Cerebral Palsy that depends 100% getting into & out of the car as well as even tightening up her straps on her own car seat.

being that it is a MiniVan, we took the short (middle) seats out so that when she is in her position, she is far enough away from me and not kicking the back of my seat, but with the mid seat gone, we can actually carry her to her seat and then pick her wheel chair up and position it. It's going to be a real BEAR in a couple of years when she switches to a POWER wheel chair.

My whole point here is that "keeping our child" safe, is far more important than for myself. At least within reson, if I see something going to happen, hopefully I can AVOID it. She could not!

Have a great weekend & enjoy the Olympics. Closing ceremonies today.

The little lady, "CINDY KLASSEN" --- 5 medal winner --- the seed skater is from right her in WINNIPEG, MB CANADA

marwen

Old 02-26-06, 06:37 AM
F
WINNIPEG, MB CANADA
Cool. I used to live in Winnipeg on North Main near the Perimiter.
Lotsa snow and ice and winter stuff.
Good to have good working brakes.
Lotsa new hardware and replacing stuff in pairs is the way to go alright.
Costs more but its so nice feeling that the brakes feel like new.
The flex hoses are about due for a change when the calipers are I find.
Keep your stick on the ice and cheers from us in Ontario

Old 02-26-06, 09:52 AM
O
Well, yea! but moreso than just for me, I have a 7 year old child with Cerebral Palsy that depends 100% getting into & out of the car as well as even tightening up her straps on her own car seat.

being that it is a MiniVan, we took the short (middle) seats out so that when she is in her position, she is far enough away from me and not kicking the back of my seat, but with the mid seat gone, we can actually carry her to her seat and then pick her wheel chair up and position it. It's going to be a real BEAR in a couple of years when she switches to a POWER wheel chair.

My whole point here is that "keeping our child" safe, is far more important than for myself. At least within reson, if I see something going to happen, hopefully I can AVOID it. She could not!

Have a great weekend & enjoy the Olympics. Closing ceremonies today.

The little lady, "CINDY KLASSEN" --- 5 medal winner --- the seed skater is from right her in WINNIPEG, MB CANADA

marwen
I live in Dundulk Ontario Canada.Best of luck for you and yours.

Old 02-26-06, 12:37 PM
M
closing ceremony

Well Ontario, Just sitting here watching the closing ceremonies for the '06 Olympics. From about as close to mid town as one can get. i can see the downtown BAY, the Legislature, and the back of the Winnipeg Art Gallery. With your knowledge of "the peg" you'll probably guess -- pretty close to where my new brakes are. "HINT" I managed to change them in my heated garage and I think it was about -42? C when they were done a week ago, or so.

That would have put you in what -- East or West St Paul?

marwen

Old 02-26-06, 04:18 PM
O
Well Ontario, Just sitting here watching the closing ceremonies for the '06 Olympics. From about as close to mid town as one can get. i can see the downtown BAY, the Legislature, and the back of the Winnipeg Art Gallery. With your knowledge of "the peg" you'll probably guess -- pretty close to where my new brakes are. "HINT" I managed to change them in my heated garage and I think it was about -42? C when they were done a week ago, or so.

That would have put you in what -- East or West St Paul?

marwen
North west I think. 3 hours North west from Toronto

Old 02-26-06, 04:38 PM
M
local

Hah! I grew up in Hamilto, moved to the "country" by gr 6. Back then, a 20 minute drive from dowtown put you in BURLINGTON. I even delivered the GLOBE & MAIL all along the Lakeshore Hyw, from the Aldershot light, past the Burlington Golf & Country Club, to the Brant Inn (Hyw 2)

marwen

Old 02-26-06, 07:13 PM
O
Hah! I grew up in Hamilto, moved to the "country" by gr 6. Back then, a 20 minute drive from dowtown put you in allwww.autozone.com for vehicle repair guide for (malibu --1999) online..Fill out make model and year.
hope this helps.Good luck
I even delivered the GLOBE & MAIL all along the Lakeshore Hyw, from the Aldershot light, past the Burlington Golf & Country Club, to the Brant Inn (Hyw 2)

marwen
No I am about 2 hours north from Burlington

Old 02-26-06, 07:21 PM
F
Small world

I went to grade 8 in Highpoint in Dundalk in about 1978
Am in Owen Sound now.
How the weather down there 442?

Old 02-26-06, 07:36 PM
O
Originally Posted by frankiee
I went to grade 8 in Highpoint in Dundalk in about 1978
Am in Owen Sound now.
How the weather down there 442?
Lots of snow. Two much snow.I am sick of snow.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: