Coolant replacement

Old 02-25-06, 04:40 PM
Coolant replacement

I replace the coolant in my 88 T-Bird every couple of years. Ive never been able to get the whole 14 quarts of new coolant into the system after I drain it. I doubt that I am getting 14 quarts back out of it after I flush it. Im sure Im leaving some clean water in the system, which the Coolant is mixing with, and giving me the protection, but I have some new pre mixed coolant in the garage I want to change into, and that made me wonder enough to ask..how do you COMPLETELY empty the cooling systme on a 5.0 litre engine, or ANY engine for that matter? I let the radiator drain, and take off the lower radiator hose. what else is there?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-06, 05:13 PM
there isnt that much left in the block and you would probably still be ok as long as you didn't add any water to the pre mix antifreeze the only way to drain the cooling system almost completly would be to remove a plug from the lower part of the engine block this would allow most of the coolant to drain from the block you would still have some setting in the heater core also.
if you need coolant protection to be better than -30 you may not want to use the premix or see a shop wich uses a coolant quick change machine hooked to your cooling system.

Old 02-25-06, 06:25 PM
Coolant change

Well, I dont ever remember it being that cold here in Ohio (-34) so I dont think I need to worry about the pre mix, but I would like to keep the system as clean as possible.
You would think that they would put an air pressure port somewhere in the system to blow the old coolant and excess water out, but I know they dont want doit yourselfers doing much of anything any more. Thanks for the reply!

Old 02-25-06, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by WML13
I replace the coolant in my 88 T-Bird every couple of years. Ive never been able to get the whole 14 quarts of new coolant into the system after I drain it. I doubt that I am getting 14 quarts back out of it after I flush it. Im sure Im leaving some clean water in the system, which the Coolant is mixing with, and giving me the protection, but I have some new pre mixed coolant in the garage I want to change into, and that made me wonder enough to ask..how do you COMPLETELY empty the cooling systme on a 5.0 litre engine, or ANY engine for that matter? I let the radiator drain, and take off the lower radiator hose. what else is there?
On the lower end of block is a threaded plug on left or right side to drain coollant from block.

Old 02-25-06, 07:19 PM
Threaded Plug

Now that makes sense. but I wonder how easy that will be to get loose after eighteen years!

Old 02-25-06, 07:26 PM
Now that makes sense. but I wonder how easy that will be to get loose after eighteen years!
Not to hard.I had my 73 ford F150 305 out 2 weeks ago.

Old 02-26-06, 05:21 AM
Coolant Replacement

It seemed to me that the Ford 302 was made of (Aluminum)? Was yours?

Old 02-26-06, 09:40 AM
It seemed to me that the Ford 302 was made of (Aluminum)? Was yours?
No cast iron.

Old 02-26-06, 12:20 PM
Talking

After any coolant change you should test it for proper protection, 50/50 is industry standard. The protection is also for boiling over in the summer.

Old 02-26-06, 10:40 PM
Coolant/T Bird/ Al. engine blocks

Didn't Vegas have aluminum engine blocks? That 50/50 prediluted is a great marketing ploy. Costs more or the same and you get 1/2 as much .WOW!!