'93 F-150; instrument panel lights and tail lights not comming on

Old 02-26-06, 05:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
'93 F-150; instrument panel lights and tail lights not comming on

I have a '93 F-150 5L. For sevaral nights when I would start it up and pull on the headlights, I noticed the instrument panel lights (and tail lights) would take a couple seconds to come on and would flicker a couple times. Once on however they stayed on. Then for a couple nights they didn't come on at all but then did after a couple of minutes (again, once on they would stay on). Now they don't seem to come on at all. The only electrical work I have every done is replacing bulbs and fuses. I checked the coresponding fuse and it appeared ok but I put in a new one anyway. Any help about how I would go about solving this loose conection/short would be greatly appreciated. - thanks, Larry

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-06, 08:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
It sounds like you're circuit is being intermittently inturrupted. Start by checking all the bulbs and switches to make sure nothing's loose. If not, you might have a problem with a wire, so it would then be time to start tracing.

Old 02-26-06, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by LPoole
I have a '93 F-150 5L. For sevaral nights when I would start it up and pull on the headlights, I noticed the instrument panel lights (and tail lights) would take a couple seconds to come on and would flicker a couple times. Once on however they stayed on. Then for a couple nights they didn't come on at all but then did after a couple of minutes (again, once on they would stay on). Now they don't seem to come on at all. The only electrical work I have every done is replacing bulbs and fuses. I checked the coresponding fuse and it appeared ok but I put in a new one anyway. Any help about how I would go about solving this loose conection/short would be greatly appreciated. - thanks, Larry
Sounds like it mite be headlight switch or relay.

Old 02-27-06, 03:57 AM
Thanks for the tips, I'm looking into the headlight switch. I got the instrument panel lights to come on again yesterday & I noticed when I jiggle the headlight switch the intensity of the light varies and it flickered a couple of times. -Larry.