Corolla won't start

Old 02-27-06, 02:00 PM
Corolla won't start

I have a 1998 Toyota Corolla, 97,000 miles, that wouldn't start this morning. I had the same problem in October. I brought it 2 mechanics then, neither found anything wrong, but I got some maintenance work done (90,000 mile tune-up). Both times, the car wasn't used at all the day before. It wasn't exactly cold out (I'm in Illinois, it was in the 20s-30s), or damp. My husband thinks it sounds like it's not getting fuel. I ran a fuel cleaner through it in January with a full tank of gas. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-06, 02:28 PM
Check spark plug wires for dampness getting in wires and stopping spark to one or more wires.

Old 02-27-06, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by tkrynearson
I have a 1998 Toyota Corolla, 97,000 miles, that wouldn't start this morning. I had the same problem in October. I brought it 2 mechanics then, neither found anything wrong, but I got some maintenance work done (90,000 mile tune-up). Both times, the car wasn't used at all the day before. It wasn't exactly cold out (I'm in Illinois, it was in the 20s-30s), or damp. My husband thinks it sounds like it's not getting fuel. I ran a fuel cleaner through it in January with a full tank of gas. Any ideas?
Does it turns over but won't start/run or it's just makes a "click" sound when you crank ?.

Old 02-28-06, 12:19 PM
won't turn over

The car doesn't turn over, it just makes sort of a stuttering sound. But a few hours later, (when my husband tries it) it works OK. Today it was fine.

Old 02-28-06, 02:09 PM
If the car is not turns over, it's not a fuel related, sound like weak battery, worst case may be bad starter but I'd look into the condition of battery and it connection first.

Old 02-28-06, 07:22 PM
sounds to me that it has a denso starter, and the contacts are worn out.
if you or the hubby are half way mechanical, you can rebuild the starter on
your own. get the model # of the starter, then get the copper contacts that it needs,
a heck of a lot cheaper than getting a new starter

Old 03-04-06, 08:10 PM
sounds like starter to me