Odometer not working

Old 02-27-06, 08:27 PM
Odometer not working

97 Ford F150 V6 50K miles
The mechanical odometer stopped working, but the speedometer is okay. I checked the sensor on the transmission, but the plastic wheel looked okay. I also cleaned the electrical connector to the sensor.

I hear clicking sound that goes up and down in frequency with speed of the car. I suppose the mechanical gears for the mechanical odometer are bad. Are the mechanical gears repairable? Is junk yard gauge cluster worth trying? Thanks.

Last edited by puter; 02-27-06 at 08:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-06, 06:55 AM
Group Moderator
You might check the parts counter at your local Ford dealer. The odometer portion of the cluster might or might not be individually replacable. If it is available separately it would be a fairly cheap, easy repair.

Old 03-01-06, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
You might check the parts counter at your local Ford dealer. The odometer portion of the cluster might or might not be individually replacable. If it is available separately it would be a fairly cheap, easy repair.
I called a dealer. They said there is not a serviceable item in the odometer. The whole gauge cluster needs to be replace. Oh, well.....

Old 03-23-06, 05:33 PM
Finally was able to work on the odometer. The instrument cluster was removed. A worm gear attached to a small motor, which drives the odometer digits, was broken to pieces. Went to a specialty shop under "Speedometer" in Yellowpages and bought a replacement gear for $30. Not a typo of $3. They have a gear moulding machine and make the gear at the shop. Put all together. Cost 3 hours and $30.