2000 Ford Taurus died

Old 03-01-06, 03:26 PM
2000 Ford Taurus died

Well I knew it would happen today after driving around town in my 2000 Ford taurus I thought I would treat it to a carwash.
The guy at the car wash came back in and said your car is sick so I went out and sure as day no start just cranks over.
Checked the fuel cutoff in trunk hit it and it poped out pushed back in still no start.
I then removed cap off fuel rail turned on key and pushed button and nothing came out.
Sounds like fuel pump to me.
Anyway had car towed to Ford dealer and now it is in there hands They will not get to it till tomorrow.
My question is fuel should shoot out of the rail with key on Right.
Hey Towguy if you read this I got to ride in a tow truck to the dealer.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-06, 03:30 AM
if you actually pressed in on the schrader valve it should have alot of pressure on the fuel rail after turning the key on.
could be a fuel pump or if it actually was washed mwybe something got wet that may be causing a problem.

Old 03-02-06, 03:48 AM
Group Moderator
How much was your tow, MV?

Old 03-02-06, 04:32 AM
did not make the wash

It never got washed it made it as far as as getting the inside clean before it quit,The tow was about 5 miles and I am not sure yet how much it cost because the tow truck driver said they would bill the dealer and the dealer then would bill me.However he also said that the dealer does not inflate the tow bill like some do.
The tow truck was a large Ford diesal and I was pretty impressed with the rig.Got this big hyraulic arm that he backs up to the front wheels he then put on two other extensoins on the back of the tires lifted the front of the car put on some straps around the tires some chains and some lights and off we went.
He said that the arms actually clamp the tire.When looking at the front tires you could see they were under a lot of pressure from the staps on top.
I will let you know Towguy how much the 5 mile tow cost as soon as I get the bill from dealer.
There was no pressure at all with shrader vave pushed also no fuel pump sound from tank.
I am thinking now it could be a fuel pump relay as well (that would be nice).However when you are on the side of the road (in this case the car wash) with no tools with the wife there is only so much you can do.

Old 03-02-06, 11:05 AM
Angry Update

Car is ready fuel pump was the problem had it replaced along with fuel filter and injector cleaning the bad news is pump alone was about 700 bucks in just the part.The whole deal out the door 11 hundred and some change.Tow guy the tow was 90 bucks just thought you might like to know.
This is the second fuel pump for this car it had one early in its life at about 13 thousand miles.
Dealer said it might have been bad gas since I filled up tank that morning and maybe I could go after gas company for some money.
He had a sample taken and said it looked good.but file a claim anyway cause if other people file a claim then I might get some money.(I was really hoping for a bad fuel sample).

Old 03-02-06, 11:37 AM
$700??? A quick visit to Rockauto.com shows the fuel pump costs $137-$217. I think the dealer was diverting your attention away from the fact that he was screwing you.

Old 03-02-06, 03:58 PM
Unhappy another update

Got car and looked at invoice pump was only 409 dollars that is for pump and sender assy that is for the flex fuel engine.Still a big chunk of money if you ask me.total was 1121.07 I dont like it but what can you do it is done.
Ford is proud of there pumps must have gold impellors in them.
Took car and washed it by hand got no money to have a carwash do it now thanks to my gold fuel pump.This is fuel pump number 3 from what I see of the maintenance records I have.Firstone was a recall at 16 thousand miles second was a pump failure at 34 thousand and now another at 74 thousand.All pumps are Ford with the same part number.(kinda scarey)

Last edited by michael van; 03-02-06 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-04-06, 04:36 PM
wow my cuz's ford mini van did the same thing I pulled to my house (he called me cause the car went down two blocks away) I bought a pump and dropped the tank installed and sent him down the road for a Benjamin

Old 03-04-06, 04:50 PM
Yep

I feel a little ripped off but I was kinda far from the house.They did more then just replace pump got a new fuel filter, fuel system and injector cleaning,(my wallet got cleaned also).
In my younger days I would have done it myself but a of couple of things I had them do it number one is time I have none number two is were I live they get bent if you work on cars in your driveway.
Think I want to get me a 72 Chevrolet pickup at least a fuel pump for that is 35 bucks and that and a cresent wrench and screwdriver and you are back on the road.
I can tell you one thing I am not impressed with new Fords as far as reliability.

Old 03-05-06, 08:50 AM
For what its worth,we all have been so-called ripped off by dealers. You have my sympathy from
being in that situation a couple times. When my manufacture's warranty expires,so does my trips to the dealer.

Old 03-07-06, 07:50 PM
I replacsed gas tank,sending unit, fuel pump on wifes 97 Sable for $600.00 in my shop.Yes new parts at my cost. Just a note.Thinking to myself.

Old 03-08-06, 04:58 AM
key point

Heck 442 I do not have a shop only a garage and it is full of junk and a driveway.If I had a nice shop I would be in auto heven.

Old 03-09-06, 03:40 PM
I am in auto heven but sometimes it can be Auto nightmare. (Thinking to myself ) Hope your car is feeling better.Happy car is a much nicer car. P.S. My shop is a 3 car garage with lots of toys.

Last edited by our442; 03-09-06 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-11-06, 02:26 PM
If it makes you feel any better, my wifes 2001 Stratus did the same thing when I was out of town. Funny mine was $1200 too.

Old 03-11-06, 03:49 PM
Yep I have to vent

Yep that is about right makes you kinda sick does it not.Why car makers have decided to put the electric fuel pumps in the tank is beyond me.I had a old 77 datsun pick up that I put a extra fuel tank in and the pump was mounted on the frame rail.(worked real good)
Another thing they could do is to have a panel under the back seat that can be removed to gain access to the darn thing.
I think people that design cars thse days are a bit clueless when it comes to making everyday maintenance items like plugs,fuel pumps,oil filters, etc easy to get to.
I was looking at the Taurus radiatior and it looks like you have to remove the front of the car.(You can not see it from the top).
Still gona get me a old 72 chevy pickup one day something I can really work on without using a lot of cuss words.

Old 03-11-06, 05:16 PM
the radiator isn't easy to change, it will come out the bottom though just have to lift the car up high enough.
there is a few models that does have access to the fuel pump through the trunk or from under the back seat not many though.

Old 03-11-06, 11:53 PM
i thought it was under the spare