changing timing belt

Old 03-03-06, 10:58 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question changing timing belt

i have a 96 honda civic and i was considering changing the timing belt and crankshaft / camshaft seals myself any hints on how to do this? i have the manual. in a difficulty rating system of 1 to 5 how difficult is doing this. i know a little bit about cars but i'm not what you would call savvy. i've changed plugs wires the cap i can flush the coolant system stuff like this but i've never tackled anything like this. i'm trying to avoid paying 200 dollars in labor fees. would it be better to just take it in and get it done? thanks for any info given it's appreciated

Old 03-03-06, 11:10 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Changing a timing belt is not a DIY job for the inexperienced, especially on an interference engine . Do it incorrectly, and serious engine damage will occur when the engine is started. Take it to a professional for this repair. Also replace the water pump and service the cooling system at the same time. This will save you money on labor down the road, as most of the labor coast of replacing the pump will have already been done when replacing the cam belt. If the pump has already been replaced, then disregard this.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: