96 grand am haunted tranny

Old 03-01-06, 03:56 PM
96 grand am haunted tranny

greetings. this car sat for about 5 months. now when i run it the trans shifts fine for a little while (averages about 15 minutes before the haunting begins). then the trans won't shift out of 1st gear and the check engine light comes on. if i let the car cool for 20 minutes or so, it runs fine again with no engine light. Does this sound like a bad sensor? if so, where might it be located? thanks, Glenn

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-06, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by glennj69
greetings. this car sat for about 5 months. now when i run it the trans shifts fine for a little while (averages about 15 minutes before the haunting begins). then the trans won't shift out of 1st gear and the check engine light comes on. if i let the car cool for 20 minutes or so, it runs fine again with no engine light. Does this sound like a bad sensor? if so, where might it be located? thanks, Glenn

Pull codes to check for a bad sensor, it also sounds like your tranny maybe overheating, check transmission fluid level and appearence,change transmission filter too.

Old 03-02-06, 06:10 AM
thanks for the tip

will try your advice. having never replaced a tranny sensor though, are they easy to get to or are they inside tranny? thanks again for advising this layman do it yourselfer

Old 03-03-06, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by glennj69
will try your advice. having never replaced a tranny sensor though, are they easy to get to or are they inside tranny? thanks again for advising this layman do it yourselfer

Any sensor should be easy to replace if you have good access to it, pull computer codes first and go from there.

Old 03-03-06, 02:42 PM
reply for tranny sensor

bought the sensor today and replaced old one in 5 minutes. like brand new again. no check engine light either. thank you so much. happy trails to you and yours, Glenn::