Ball joint boot replaceable?

Old 03-01-06, 10:19 PM
Ball joint boot replaceable?

In general, is the rubber boot of a ball joint serviceable or not? If I remove the tie rod to a professional, will he be able to remove the boot and put a new one on it? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-06, 03:38 AM
I dont know anyone that would go to that much work and not go ahead and replace the ball joint which will come with a new boot seeing how you usually have to remove the ball joint anyway.
if the ball joint is still ok I wouldnt be in no hurry to replace it, it may last quite a while with a tore grease boot.

Old 03-02-06, 05:00 AM
Thank you for the advice. I will keep it until it wears out. Is there a band aid approach to close the opening of the boot? I just want to get most out of the ball joint. It is on a tractor and unlikely to be as reasonably priced as those for cars.

Old 03-02-06, 05:51 AM
well I thought you were talking about a vehicle the info I gave you may not really apply ive worked on several older tractors that really didnt even have ball joints and you mention in your post about removing a tie rod if it is a tie rod the rubber grease cup can usually be replaced easily if its available on most vehicles.
if its a greasable joint the best thing to do is just to grease it at regular intervals to help displace any water that may get into the joint dont know of any bandaid approach.

Old 03-02-06, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the advice. Sorry that I didn't say upfront it was about my tractor. Yes, it has a grease nipple. Your recommendation seems to be the best solution: to keep it greased and get most out of the ball joint. I will cover it up with some rubbery stuff to keep dirt out. When I get an opportunity to show it to a tractor repair man, I will ask him about replacing the boot.

Old 03-02-06, 09:23 AM
pack it with grease and try to use duct tape to seal boot, it'll last awhile.

Old 03-02-06, 01:44 PM
What type of tractor is it and what do you use it for? You might be able to rig something up if your not brush hogging in heavy brush. Is it stored inside? That would reduce the moisture problem a lot.