Failed emission - what can cause this?

Old 02-22-06, 02:37 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Failed emission - what can cause this?

Hi everyone,

I have to get an emission test to renew my plates this year, and my car failed the test. A standard read is 220 (per this report). Mine tested at a whopping 2111. This is not a test where a higher score is good . Are there any thoughts out there that can cause this? I would like to try and find this out myself (or this forum), rather than paying $65 so a computer can tell me. I know I may need to have them do it...but thought I would check here first.

thanks

edit: Forgot to mention...it's a '94 Cavalier

Last edited by Rapture; 02-22-06 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-22-06, 02:51 PM
Your cads could be bad or really clogged up....your oxygen sensor could need cleaning..your injectors could be running rich...etc....I would get it put on computer

Old 02-22-06, 04:22 PM
P
hc?

you did not say if it is hydrocarbons in parts per million

since you have posted 173 times you must know a bit about autos and know HC is unburned gas.

at that HC level you should smell gas while standing behind your running car and your mpg should be awfull is this true?

lots of black fluffy stuff on your plugs? no part of the plug tan or light grey?

check the simple stuff first like vacuum leaks, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter and compression first.

Is your oil level high? Does it smell like gas?

I doubt the computer will tell you much. Does it warm up normally, t-stat closed when cold open when hot? You did not tape over the check engine light? Does your check engine light come on with key turned to on with engine NOT running?

Old 02-22-06, 04:28 PM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Hey Rap,
You'll need to post up more info
What the other readings were, and, well, which reading this is
States can vary as to what they test, but anything else off the report might be helpful

Old 02-22-06, 05:08 PM
R
Sorry for not posting enough earlier...
Yeah, it's HC (ppm). It does seem like my car should be warmer when the heater is turned on...so, the thermostat is a possibity. The report of 2111 was at the idle test. My high speed test was just fine at 177. Every now and then (when I do warm up my car before work), I do notice that the exhaust has a bad rich smell. I can't tell if it smells like gas, but that would be my closest guess...I'll put more later...I got a phone call and need to leave.

Thanks for all the help so far

I will check to see what my car does when turned and the engine not going....

Old 02-22-06, 05:28 PM
R
Originally Posted by peabees
Does it warm up normally, t-stat closed when cold open when hot? You did not tape over the check engine light? Does your check engine light come on with key turned to on with engine NOT running?
I just checked and have to go again....with the key in the on with the engine off...
Lights that are on are the battery, check engine and check gauges.

Be back later to see if more advice is given.

thanks!

Old 02-22-06, 06:14 PM
S
According the the Society of Automotive Engineers, 50 to 70% of the cars failing idle HC test that need parts replaced need new o2 sensors, 20% need new cats

Some other causes of excess unburned fuel are ignition related
Cap, rotor, plugs, wires...

Step 1, pull the codes
I don't know if '94 GM is OBDI and you can DIY the code read with a jumper, or OBDII and you need to go to AZ or another DIY place that'll read codes...94 is right around the switch

How many miles on the car, and more importantly, the O2 sensors?
Have you checked the basic tune-up parts?

Old 02-22-06, 07:54 PM
O
Originally Posted by slickshift
According the the Society of Automotive Engineers, 50 to 70% of the cars failing idle HC test that need parts replaced need new o2 sensors, 20% need new cats

Some other causes of excess unburned fuel are ignition related
Cap, rotor, plugs, wires...

Step 1, pull the codes
I don't know if '94 GM is OBDI and you can DIY the code read with a jumper, or OBDII and you need to go to AZ or another DIY place that'll read codes...94 is right around the switch

How many miles on the car, and more importantly, the O2 sensors?
Have you checked the basic tune-up parts?
Check the Catalytic converter. This is one of the most forgoten parts of the Emissions control.Your car has coil packs instead of distributor.Tune up is key in passing. Plus do not forget all filters.

Old 02-22-06, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by Rapture
Hi everyone,

I have to get an emission test to renew my plates this year, and my car failed the test. A standard read is 220 (per this report). Mine tested at a whopping 2111. This is not a test where a higher score is good . Are there any thoughts out there that can cause this? I would like to try and find this out myself (or this forum), rather than paying $65 so a computer can tell me. I know I may need to have them do it...but thought I would check here first.

thanks

edit: Forgot to mention...it's a '94 Cavalier

No brainer just scan it and fix it,save time and money.

Old 03-03-06, 01:06 PM
R
Just to close this out (and maybe help others)....

My spark plug wires were fried and some were arking pretty badly. I replaced them and went to a low "6" rating on the HCM test....PASSED!!!!

Old 03-03-06, 05:06 PM
S
Originally Posted by Rapture
...PASSED!!!!
...and the villagers rejoiced
Villagers (All): Hurray!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: