Fuel indicator Gage not working properly....

Old 03-03-06, 02:52 PM
Fuel indicator Gage not working properly....

Greetings: My daughter-in-law has a confusing (to me at least) problem with her gas gage. The car was hit from behind-hard enough to bend the frame. We have since straightened the frame at least to where the tires don't wear and the car doesn't pull. But now her gas gage has gone nuts. She fills tank and it registers full. Then it seems to work until about 3/8 tank is indicated. Then it shoots instantly back to 3/4 and flutters until she runs out of gas at some point later. Any ideas would be most appreciated, Glennj

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-06, 03:59 PM
forget about it...

just fill it up everytime and count the miles on the trip odometer. If you know the size of the tank and mpg, you can figure roughly how many miles it takes to get to 1/4 tank and just fill it up at that point. I have a 97 lumina that the fuel gauge went out like 3 days after warranty. Costs 700 because it is in tank with pump. I count the miles and have never had a problem, gauge always reads 3/4 to 1/2.

Old 03-03-06, 08:04 PM
You have two ways you can go. Pull tank and check sending unit for damage or keep tank full. Good luck.

Old 03-04-06, 02:21 AM
thanks for the tips

thank you both for the replies. i am disabled, so she'll just have to count her miles or do the unthinkable and take it to a shop. God Bless, Glennj

Old 03-04-06, 02:00 PM
tip

If you know how many gallons your tank holds and how many miles a gallon you get (use the low ball figure) just reset trip meter at every fill up.
Example if you do the math and come up with lets say 400 miles per tank start looking for a gas station at 325 miles to be on the safe side.
I did that for years with a little nova I had.

Old 03-04-06, 06:58 PM
Is low fuel light working.

Old 03-05-06, 07:19 AM
no. low fuel light never comes on.

does that help?

Old 03-05-06, 09:38 PM
Sounds like it could be a bad ground wire at sending unit.