Oil pan gasket replacement

Old 03-03-06, 05:04 PM
Question Oil pan gasket replacement

Hi All,
I have been quoted $440 to replace the leaking oil pan gasket on my 2.5 liter V6 in my '98 Ford Contour. That seems quite excessive to me...
Any opinions?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-06, 02:06 PM
were dealer?

Were is that quote from the dealer?If so it is not out of line I just paid 11 hundred for a fuel pump replacment at dealer.
I was kinda between a rock and a hard spot on that one.

Old 03-04-06, 02:52 PM
Yes, the quote was from the dealer where I usually have my service work done. Is that price out of line? It seems crazy-high to me.

Old 03-04-06, 03:21 PM
My 2 cents

It does seem high but I am not sure what is involved maybe they need to lift the engne to replace gasket.
I think what you are paying for is all the equipment the dealer has and the special tools.I have found that if you shop around for a good independent gararge you can get it done for less.
The down side is you might have to wait a bit longer to get the job done.(example the fuel pump and all the stuff I had done with it only took one morning).However had I been closer to the independent shop I trust and my car was running and not on the back of a tow truck I would have gone there.(my independent shop)
Your car still is drivable look for a good family owned shop ask around.On parts like the gasket it is not all that important it be a Ford gasket Fel Pro makes some fine gaskets probbably better then the Ford ones.
To tell you the truth Dealers prices scare the heck out of me and I try to go only to them as long as my car is still under warranty.
Another quick story had a Toyota corolla under warranty and battery was weak and dying thought if I bring it in to dealer they would give me a replacment no charge.
Turns out battery has a seperate warranty not covered but they wanted to sell me one for over a hundrend dollars I said no thanks and went to Walmart.

Old 03-04-06, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the replies!
The oil leak is VERY slow, so I will shop around for a better price next week.
Thanks Again!

Old 03-04-06, 08:33 PM
oil gasket leaking

just for sh**s and giggles, can you look under the car and see if there is any thing in the way of the oil pan that would make it difficult to remove? this is a diy forum by the way and we would like to be able to advise you as such. $440.00 is way to much to drain the oil, drop the pan, remove the old gasket, dress the seating surfaces, install the new gasket, install the oil pan, change the oil filter, and the add new oil. if you have the proper stuff to work on a car such as floor jacks, jack stands and regular tools, you could do it yourself and save a ton.

barry

Old 03-05-06, 06:12 AM
Group Moderator
Ummm, have you crawled underneath and tried snugging up all the bolts? Don't crank down on them hard enough to snap them off, but this might be a 10 minute/$0 fix.

Old 03-05-06, 05:25 PM
i thought about the tightening the pan part Tow, but in my experiance, once the gasket has been
compromised, it has lost it's ability to seal correctly.

Old 09-10-06, 01:14 PM
Tour.

I know on my 2.0 Zetec the engine had to be lifted 3". It was a big job. I had no choice as I cracked my oil pan in a pot hole / speed bump.
$400 is about right considering a Stealership charges $100 per hour.

Old 09-10-06, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
Ummm, have you crawled underneath and tried snugging up all the bolts? Don't crank down on them hard enough to snap them off, but this might be a 10 minute/$0 fix.
Have tightend up a many a pan bolts due to loose bolts. Gasket is not compressed, the bolts have simply backed off in these situations. it always the first thing to check. As for the 440 bucks they may be figuring in a new pan as well, but Ford dealer here is up to 75 buck/hour 1 hour to remove 1 hour to clean up and put gasket on and 1 hour to replace would be 225 bucks, prob 50 for a gasket and a 40 buck oil change on top of that.........315 plus tax is around 340 bucks. Always get a "TIME" quote along with the "price" quote.................

Old 09-10-06, 03:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
$440 seems about right. $55/hr. They might have to remove the front crossmember to get to your oil pan. Removing the front crossmember sometimes disconnecting exhaust, etc. Thats why they call them the Stealership.

Old 09-11-06, 03:14 PM
Go to your local auto parts store (AutoZone, Advance, etc.) and get Haynes or Chilton manual for your car(about $12.00) then you can check the proper procedure for removal/replace, you will then have the manual when something else goes wrong. It's the best and cheapest insurance you can buy for peace of mind. Have a nice day. Geo

Old 09-15-06, 04:57 AM
That is the going rate for your model being that it is a pain in the rear for the do it yourselfer. Find a Pop and Son shop and you'll save a bill. They may let you supply the parts if you promise to return and stop being serviced by the dealership.

Old 09-15-06, 03:02 PM
Cool torque care on any pan

If you do replace or attempt to tighten your oil pan to stop a leak and tighten bolts to much, you can easily warp the pan as a bulge can develop between bolts. care must be taken as that soft gasket can squash at the bolt causing either side to bow. That includes valve covers. That is the reason that these bolts often loosen on their own. The torque is lite from the git go