Instrument lights go out

Old 03-05-06, 09:37 AM
Instrument lights go out

I have a 95 Dodge truck. Sometimes when you turn the lights on, the instrument lights do not come on. Other times they do. Sometimes they will go out while driving and sometimes when they are out and the switch is on they will turn on. When they are off, other dash lights (heater, AC, etc.) work properly all of the time. Could this be the switch? How can I tell? Do you have to remove the dash to replace the switch?

Thanks for any assistance.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-06, 02:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not sure if the instrument dimming control is part of the light switch, or a separate control. In either case, first try turning it to a different setting - maybe sweep it back and forth a few times when you reset it. It may just be a worn/dead spot on the dimming potentiometer.

Old 03-05-06, 04:01 PM
The dimmer is on the pull out light switch. When they don't come on, I've rotated the switch full left and right to see it they will come on and they don't.

Old 03-05-06, 05:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like a bad switch.

Old 03-05-06, 07:31 PM
How do I remove it? Does the dash have to come out?

Old 03-05-06, 11:28 PM
Check this out for your repair.http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d8010077b.jsp

Old 03-06-06, 05:44 AM
Thanks for the link. I read through the instructions. Does all of this have to be done just to replace the headlight switch? It isn't mentioned.

Old 03-06-06, 08:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
From what I can see in the drawing, it appears that the switch knob unscrews, and that there is a nut on the passenger side of the dash which holds the switch in place. If you can get a hand up under the dash, to the switch, it should be fairly easy to remove. Swap out wires one at a time from the old to the new switch, so you don't have an accidental mis wire.