Rebuilding Spirit 3.0 lower end

Old 03-05-06, 10:05 AM
Negoshe8n
Visiting Guest
Rebuilding Spirit 3.0 lower end

Just wanted to know if I can re-ring and install new pistons, rods and bearings without pulling the motor? I have the heads off of course. In other words, can I get the pan off to do this without pulling the motor? I just don't have a good surface for a lift, nor do I have one of those too. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-06, 12:50 PM
Yes you can but you may need to tilt engine forward some point.

Old 03-05-06, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by Negoshe8n
Just wanted to know if I can re-ring and install new pistons, rods and bearings without pulling the motor? I have the heads off of course. In other words, can I get the pan off to do this without pulling the motor? I just don't have a good surface for a lift, nor do I have one of those too. Thanks.
Yes you can, you may have to reinstall the front engine mount back to hold the engine block in it place, just be careful when installing those piston rods, use rubber caps on the rod studs so you don't damage the crankshaft. Be sure to install them correctly (dot/arrow on piston face faces forward to front of engine).

Old 03-05-06, 06:39 PM
I'd skip it unless you have specific problems. The bottom ends of these engines are rather bulletproof and should last the life of the car. The heads, on the other hand, have valve guides and seals that need to be refreshed every 120K, which I'm guessing is why you're into this job.

Old 03-06-06, 11:10 PM
Is that a Mitsubishi motor?

Old 03-07-06, 05:13 AM
Yes, it is.

Old 03-07-06, 07:30 PM
It is allways best to use new head bolts.