Transmission Problem/Question

Old 03-06-06, 10:16 AM
Transmission Problem/Question

I own a 2000 GMC Sonoma truck. The problem I have with my transmission is that after driving for about an hour in overdrive, I loose the gear. I no longer have overdrive. I have 1st -2nd -3rd.
If I stop and let the truck sit and cool off then the OD comes back.
I have had this problem for about 3 years now. Everything is fine until I go on a long road trip, then I loose OD again.
I have had the transmission serviced and filter replaced since then and experience the same occurance. No fluids are leaking and the color looks fine.

Is this a problem that will require rebuilding the complete transmission or does this sound like a smaller problem such as the converter or a computer prob?

Thanks for you help.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-06, 09:53 PM
How do you know you loose the gear and no longer have overdrive.

Old 03-07-06, 05:22 AM
Could it be that you're losing lockup in the torque converter and not 4th gear? When the torque converter locks up, it can feel like another gear. One way to check for lockup is to tickle the accelerator without changing your speed. If the tachometer moves significantly, then it's not in lockup. If it moves very little, then you are in lockup.

Old 03-07-06, 10:10 AM
When this occurs I can switch between 3rd and OD(4th) and see no difference in RPM's. If I let off the gas then the RPM's are still high and the car starts to slow down as if I am in 3rd.
It does not appear to only be losing the converter lock up because I have experienced it in the past (different vehicle) where you would let your foot off the gas and then the rpm's would be lower as if you were in OD but as soon as you hit the gas the RPM's would go up as if you were in 3rd. This is not the case here.

Our442- I will be driving in OD for about an hour and then accelerate at some point in time and then the transmission never shifts back into OD. It stays in 3rd. It's very noticable when you are driving as 1900 RPM and then all of a sudden change to about 3600 RPM driving the same speed (something like that).

Thanks!

Old 03-07-06, 12:03 PM
On tranny is a 3-4 wire plug that ingages overdrive. take apart and spay with wd-40 to clean plug.

Old 03-07-06, 02:50 PM
OK. I'll try that. It seems to be a heat related thing because I can drive the truck 45 minutes to work and 45 minutes back in stop and go traffic no problem. But if I drive in OD and stay in OD for 45 minutes - hour, OD stops working. So it's fine for everyday but if I go on a highway road trip then it's bad.

The reason I ask if it's a full rebuild type of job is because I will just wait till the transmission totally dies before I do that and there is no reason to even take it somewhere to be looked at.