98 ford explore radio

Old 03-07-06, 05:49 AM
98 ford explore radio

The lights quit working in the radio, all other lights in and around the radio still work. Can someone shed some light on what I'm in for.
Thanks
Redbone

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-06, 05:51 PM
Does the Radio Still work?

If it does and you can live without the light's don't worry with it.

If it doesn't or you can't live without the lights. Replace it.

Also I had a radio once that occasionly the lights would stay on but the radio would die. Turns out that they used a seperate fuse for each.

If you are the truly couragous type and good with electronics, then you might attempt to repair the radio. It is probably something simple inside the radio. Like a blown fuse inside the unit. Or perhaps just a loose wire. Or maybe a burned compenent. Of course to help diagnose these problems a schematic would be helpful. Consider contacting Ford. However they most probably have a thrid party manufacturing there radios. You might look for that label on the radio where all the labeling is.

These are my thoughts on the matter, Hope it helps.

Old 03-08-06, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by power453
Does the Radio Still work?

If it does and you can live without the light's don't worry with it.

If it doesn't or you can't live without the lights. Replace it.

Also I had a radio once that occasionly the lights would stay on but the radio would die. Turns out that they used a seperate fuse for each.

If you are the truly couragous type and good with electronics, then you might attempt to repair the radio. It is probably something simple inside the radio. Like a blown fuse inside the unit. Or perhaps just a loose wire. Or maybe a burned compenent. Of course to help diagnose these problems a schematic would be helpful. Consider contacting Ford. However they most probably have a thrid party manufacturing there radios. You might look for that label on the radio where all the labeling is.

These are my thoughts on the matter, Hope it helps.
Radio works fine, it's just a pain in the *** when you can't see the station numbers. So. you find yourself listening to some station until they ID the station and go from there. (blind so to speak) on one other forum they suggested it might be one of those radios that have a solid state board and one place quoted me $300.00 to replace the board. needless to say what my answer was.
Thanks anyway.
The Redbone

Old 03-09-06, 01:30 PM
Change it with scrap yard unit but have them check it before you pay. (This is juist my opinion.)

Old 03-17-06, 01:09 PM
I had this, it's not uncommon.
What I did was take the radio to a customizer that also installs remote starters in cars. They knew of someone that repairs the remotes for them, and that person also knew how to repair the ford radios when the display goes out.
Cost me $125.00 and it has been fine.
Maybe that is something you can do. Good luck!

Search this Thread