94 Dakota with Tranny problems

Old 03-07-06, 05:38 PM
94 Dakota with Tranny problems

I was recently issued a service truck for the company I work for. The thing spent two months in a transmission shop. They said nothing mechanically is wrong with it. That seems to be correct.

The problem is when I first start it up in the morniing and head to work it is fine for the first twenty to thrity minutes. Then the overdrive will suddenly go away and it down shifts into 3rd. Then it won't go back into overdrive until the whole vehicle has sat for a couple of hours. Then the same problem is noticed.

I discussed this with the transmision shop and it seems to be something electrical causing it to shift improperly.

Does anybody know where to start looking for such a problem. Short of replacing the computer! Any suggestion, Ideas,

Thanks in Advance,
R. Ellis

Spec's on vehicle
94 Dodle Dakota
5.3L V8
3speed with overdrive
230,000 miles on it

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-06, 09:43 PM
Check electrical plugs on tranny and clean them with W40 for starters.

Old 03-08-06, 02:44 AM
Originally Posted by power453
I was recently issued a service truck for the company I work for. The thing spent two months in a transmission shop. They said nothing mechanically is wrong with it. That seems to be correct.

The problem is when I first start it up in the morniing and head to work it is fine for the first twenty to thrity minutes. Then the overdrive will suddenly go away and it down shifts into 3rd. Then it won't go back into overdrive until the whole vehicle has sat for a couple of hours. Then the same problem is noticed.

I discussed this with the transmision shop and it seems to be something electrical causing it to shift improperly.

Does anybody know where to start looking for such a problem. Short of replacing the computer! Any suggestion, Ideas,

Thanks in Advance,
R. Ellis

Spec's on vehicle
94 Dodle Dakota
5.3L V8
3speed with overdrive
230,000 miles on it
What does the speedometer do at the time it drops out of OD?. fluctuates or steady reading?.

There has been known of speed sensor causing trans won't goes into OD, even though the sensor seem to be working OK.

The other thing is the OD switch itself, you can try pushing the switch off/on while it's acting up and see if it's makes any different.

Old 03-12-06, 05:28 PM
The Speedometer stays at its current speed when it shifts out of over drive. However in the interest of lowering the rpms I take my foot off the throttle and slow it to about 55 mph.