Toyota code PO171

Old 03-08-06, 04:26 PM
Toyota code PO171

Ok the darn Toyota Corolla vintage year 2000 1.8L engine 50 thousand miles CEL light is on again.Got it scanned at AZ came out with a PO171 bank 1 is too lean.
The guy said use higher octane gas (at least he did not try to sell me a bunch of stuff).I just replaced the plugs about 5 thousand miles ago and cleaned the MAF because I had a multipable cyl missfire code.
Light went off for a long time and now I have this light.Car runs fine no drivability issues.My inspection is due next month and it will not pass with light on.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-06, 08:43 PM
The code is right bank 1 is too lean. My gess is dirty injector . Clean injectors yor self or take to shop.

Old 03-09-06, 04:29 AM
Ok

Ok I will see if some injector cleaner will get the job done I have reset the code already with my new toy a code scanner I just got from the zone.
I bought the same kind the guy at auto zone used I know it is not the best but with 3 cars I figure I can use it and I can use it on any of my friends cars if they have CEL.
It is a actron unit.

Old 03-09-06, 11:48 AM
It could also be Heated O2 sensor bank 1, or MAP sensor, or Engine coolant temp sensor. I also don't see any TSB's listed for this code. Good luck

Old 03-09-06, 01:27 PM
lots of stuff

Originally Posted by HowToHelpGuy
It could also be Heated O2 sensor bank 1, or MAP sensor, or Engine coolant temp sensor. I also don't see any TSB's listed for this code. Good luck
That is a lot of high dollar stuff to choose from I just will have to get into the books and start testing all those parts as to replace them all would cost me two arms and a leg.
Any good web sites for sensor checking procedures?

Old 03-09-06, 04:28 PM
If their are any Oreilly stores in your area they have free access to eautorepair.net. If there are no Oreilly's in your area you can go to eautorepair.net and get all the diagnostic info you need for 7.99 per week.

Typically speaking it is a very good tool that is very easy to use.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-09-06, 05:11 PM
that is helpfull

Thanks Howtohelpguy as a matter of fact there is a Oreilly's a few miles from my house If the light does come back on I will check them out.