Need a pickup topper... suggestions?

Old 03-08-06, 05:18 PM
Group Moderator
Need a pickup topper... suggestions?

I've got a 2002 Ford F-150 supercab w/short box and I'd like to put a nice topper on the back that is painted to match my truck (dark blue). I'd like the topper to have maximum headroom, because I'm a carpenter and plan on putting a lot of stuff in back- maybe getting one of those slide out bed organizers someday.

At any rate, the only brand I've seen is LEER, (thinking about the LEER Model 100XQ) and I was wondering if there are any other good brands you'd recommend, as well as what I might expect to pay for a topper that matches my truck?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-06, 04:30 PM
snug top

Snug top makes some fine looking toppers.

Old 03-09-06, 04:41 PM
Not sure where you are located but I have seen several custom truck places in TN that do an incredible job. It may cost a little bit more but you can have it built exactly how you want it. It would pay off for you in the long run with efficency since you will be working out of it.

Old 03-09-06, 07:00 PM
Last summer I purchased a F150 Supercrew which is very similar to your truck. I ordered a fiberglas truck cap by A.R.E. You can get all sorts of bells and whistles, but as I just wish to secure tools, material and luggage, all I got was swing-open windows on both sides. This sure does facilitate loading and unloading. It was a perfect color match and looks great. I paid around $1200. My only complaint is that the windows are tinted and with the after-market tint on the rear truck window I can hardly see anything out the back at night. I want to remove the tint on the truck window and wish I could do so on the forward cap window.

Old 03-09-06, 07:45 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks for the replies so far and the hints. I picked up a brochure today from a local Body Shop that carries both Leer and Glasstite. The Glasstite 2000 has an interesting feature- a back window that slides up and over the top of the shell- and interesting feature that gets it completely out of the way. Only problem I see with it is that it has a good sized frame around it which means the window is smaller. Also, I'd like to know what would happen if I had the lid open and I was going down the freeway at 70mph? Cuz you know I'd do that a time or two when I had stuff sticking out the back!

Most of the caps I've seen have tinted glass standard, and that's a good point you made Thiggy about nighttime vision being obstructed. I also like the Leer 100XQ and the Glasstite Outfitter for the reason that the back window has no frame- since maximum vision is so important. That's one thing I hear people complain about it how they can't see when backing up.

I'm not sure that I want side windows that flip up, although I know a lot of carpenters have those and they look handy. I'm sure that I would scratch up the side of my truck,= by leaning into the window with my hammer hanging in front or my tape measure sticking out of my pocket, or I'd get caulking, drywall mud, paint, etc on the truck since I have a bad habit of wiping my fingers on my nail apron or pants. (already did that once) I think I'll opt to hop in the back since I haven't got arthritis "yet."

The prices I'm seeing for the above caps are in the neighborhood of $1400-1900 installed. I'm thinking of getting this in lieu of payment for some work I'm doing for a friend!

Keep those suggestions coming!

Old 03-09-06, 08:20 PM
Have you checked them out on E-Bay to get idea of all the kinds that are out there.Then you can buy new or used. (This is juist my opinion.)

Old 04-07-06, 06:40 PM
Group Moderator
I ordered a Leer 100XQ today (http://www.leer.com/fordmodel1.html) and used their $70 internet coupon!