sway bar snapped off

Old 03-11-06, 01:34 PM
sway bar snapped off

well, I thought i was having trouble with my cv joints based on the sounds and symptoms, so jacked up my car and found out that the sway bar is snapped off the lower control arms. The bolts that hold it on to the lower control arm snapped off right at the bottom where they go through the hole on the lower control arm. The car is a 93 grand am fwd auto, i was thinking about attempting it myself, but I think Im going to take it in to the shop, what should i be expecting, will they just fix this or will they say theres something worse that caused it. shoud i get an allignment afterwards?

thanks

Last edited by zzzz1486; 03-11-06 at 02:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-06, 01:41 PM
Yes you can replace with new ones use grade 5-7bolts. (This is juist my opinion.)

Old 03-11-06, 04:53 PM
shoud i get an allignment afterwards?

Originally Posted by zzzz1486
well, I thought i was having trouble with my cv joints based on the sounds and symptoms, so jacked up my car and found out that the sway bar is snapped off the lower control arms. The bolts that hold it on to the lower control arm snapped off right at the bottom where they go through the hole on the lower control arm. The car is a 93 grand am fwd auto, i was thinking about attempting it myself, but I think Im going to take it in to the shop, what should i be expecting, will they just fix this or will they say theres something worse that caused it. shoud i get an allignment afterwards?

thanks
Any time there is any work done on the trailer wheels (back wheels of a front wheel drive) always make sure to get an allignment or the same thing or worse could happen again. No matter how they fix the problem the uni-body has stress fractures and they will get bad real quick unless everything is towing as free as possible. A friend of mine had that happen and he didn't get the allignment as advised, a couple of days ago the left side broke in traffic and he almost lost his life. First rule is to put safety first for your sake, your family's sake and for the sake of everyone in every vehicle that you will be around out on the road. Good Luck, poemaster

Old 03-11-06, 05:20 PM
sway bar links can be replaced and commonly brake any parts store should have them in a kit whether you do it yourself or take it to a shop, if the old ones are rusty it is often easier to cut them off than attempt to remove them with basic hand tools.
replacing sway bar links does not require you to remove anything that would affect alignment of the vehicle.