Squaring the rearend for racing

Old 03-11-06, 03:03 PM
Question Squaring the rearend for racing

Can anyone give me any tips or tricks for telling when the rearend is squared? The car is a '79 camaro, racing it at the local short track. It has lowering blocks, the right side being adjustable so I know how to adjust it. I just need a good way to tell when it is squared.

Thanks,
Byam

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-06, 04:59 PM
byam,
the only way that you can tell if the thing is square is to have the body off first. take a + type laser level and shoot it from the top and from the bottom as well as down the sides. do you race on dirt or asphalt? and what part of the country do you race? you also have to make sure that your front and back wheels line up. just a few suggestions,

barry

Old 03-12-06, 06:58 AM
simply measure from the center of the front wheels to the center of the rear wheels. If that is even on both sides, then use a long straight edge to make sure the offset is the same front-to-rear. You can use a laser level from the hardware store, or a long straight 2x4.

I use a laser lever. Spread it across the face of the rear tire, then have a friend hold a tape measure against the center (or other easy to repeat spot) on the front wheels. Make a not where the laser crosses the tape. Repeat on the other side, and correct and difference.

Old 03-12-06, 04:07 PM
It will be raced on asphalt in the mid west.

For the second suggestion, would different amounts of caster in the front wheels make these measurments off? Or does the center of the wheel stay in the same place (I'm assuming everything rotates around the center so it would stay in the same place)? What about camber? Does the center of the wheel stay in the same place when the top of the wheel is pulled in and the bottom pushed out?

I would prefer not to touch caster or camber as they are set to where the person who owned it before had it. And the car was really quite quick.

Thanks,
Byam

Old 03-12-06, 05:25 PM
Measure axel housing to rear of frame left then right. make sure there the same. Then take right axel housing to left rear of frame then viceversa. make sure measurments are the same. (This is juist my opinion.)

Old 03-14-06, 05:25 AM
all things being correct, you should be able to square it from the front subframes if you haven't modified the links on the rear or welded to the rear housing. the best way is to drive it. you may want a little "tweek" in the rear alignment to help get around corners.