Any tips for passing emissions?

Old 03-12-06, 05:44 AM
Any tips for passing emissions?

(car was sitting 4 months after oil change, should i get an oil change?)
i've got new spark plugs, but other than that i wasn't too sure of what would help me pass emissions test. Also my catilytic converter was shot and was replace with an after market "straight through" cat converter (mostly because stock one was $800) so i wan't to know if that will make it impossible to pass emissions. Do any of those "garenteed to pass" emission chemicals/additives work?/ or should i try?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-06, 06:55 AM
I wouldn't bother changing the oil. 4 months is not long, and any moisture that has been absorbed will burn off once the oil reaches temperature.

As for emmisions, it depends on the test. Our system doesn't use a tail-pipe tester, it just plugs into the computer and looks for trouble codes. If the car is running fine, and not setting the check-engine-light, then you may be OK. If they do a tail-pipe test, then you may have to make some repairs.

I have never used the chemicals you mention, but if the guarantee is good enough (they pay for the re-test and repairs ha ha), then what do you have to lose?

Old 03-12-06, 08:09 AM
Originally Posted by mattsnooz
Do any of those "garenteed to pass" emission chemicals/additives work?/
Yes
There's some at your local auto parts store
Not a DIY chain, but a NAPA/ACME type deal
It can't fix a mechanical problem, but can work well to clean up your tailpipe emissions

Old 03-12-06, 08:59 AM
In Canada we have guaranteed to pass and it seens to work. (This is juist my opinion.)

Old 03-12-06, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by mattsnooz
(car was sitting 4 months after oil change, should i get an oil change?)
i've got new spark plugs, but other than that i wasn't too sure of what would help me pass emissions test. Also my catilytic converter was shot and was replace with an after market "straight through" cat converter (mostly because stock one was $800) so i wan't to know if that will make it impossible to pass emissions. Do any of those "garenteed to pass" emission chemicals/additives work?/ or should i try?

We need some more information. WHatyear and kind of car, and what kind of problems are you having with it now? If it is newer, as long as the "check engine" light isnt on, then you should pass.

Old 03-14-06, 04:32 PM
emission tests passing

its a 93 honda prelude 4ws. 70000 km on j-spec(japenese engine), 200,000 on body. no engine light on , nor any other warning lights on for that matter. Runs pretty good for a 13 year old car. The catilytic converter was replaced with a "performance" "straight through" cat converter which is where im wondering if it will pass emissions. (ie , the cat converter is pretty much a striaght pipe in essence), all other sensors function normally, so pretty much just wondering about if my cat converter will still allow me to pass? Exhaust smells okay, no massive oil residue, nor gas smells of any kind. Also. i've never asked but at 120 kms an hour my car is at 3800 RPM(5th gear standard), does that seem a bit high? it red lines at almost 7000 but i thought at 120kph, 3800 rpm seems a bit high. Most cars on highway driving usually reach MAYBE lower 3000s..but not up around 3800!
P.s. thanks for feed back people!

Last edited by mattsnooz; 03-14-06 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-14-06, 09:19 PM
hondas rev a little higher

make sure the car's nice and warmed up when you go for the inspection and you have all the trouble codes straightened out. if you don't you can always unplug the battery for a half hour to erase them.

Old 03-15-06, 03:04 AM
some high flow convertors do ok but if its just a straight pipe or a fake convertor it probably wont pass an emmision test assuming that the test requires them to check tail pipe emmisions.
probably not a whole lot you can do about the rpm at that speed, it does sound a little high are you running stock size tires and wheels?

Old 03-15-06, 03:11 AM
more info!

they are stock rims, but the tire size (car specs say the size i use is okay) are low profile (195 60 r 15)

Old 03-15-06, 04:35 AM
the taller the tire the lower the rpms will be at highway speed so that is probably contributing to the higher rpm a little, a 195/70/15 or a 195/75/15 would probably lower your rpm at 120 kph more than what you would think, by running a tire that is a couple inches taller, open the drivers door and check for a sticker that probably lists factory tire size and air pressure info.

Old 03-15-06, 01:20 PM
cool

thanks bejay for your input

Search this Thread