Reprogram Computer?

Old 03-12-06, 06:35 AM
Reprogram Computer?

I have an 03 silverado Z71 with a 4.8L V8 and a trailer pkg. I am considering getting a "performance" programming device that promises more HP and performance for when i tow my boat and such, but i am concerned about long term affects.

Is there a detrimental effect to my motor? i dont want to burn my motor out sooner for more performance now, i.e. short run vs. long run.

any comments?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-06, 06:52 AM
on a gas motor, I wouldn't be so concerned about durability. I tune Corvettes, and the engine is basically the same.

Things are a little different for a truck. First of all, in the Sports Cars, you gain power by leaning the mixture down (less fuel makes more power to a point, as the OEM program is rich for safety) and by advancing timing. However, this assumes the user is running premium fuel, as detonation (spark knock) will occur with lower octane fuel.

I definitely think your truck can benefit from a tune, but just make sure the tuner understands your needs. Unless you want to spend an extra 10% on fuel at the pump, make sure they tune to standard fuel.

Old 03-12-06, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by clardl
I have an 03 silverado Z71 with a 4.8L V8 and a trailer pkg. I am considering getting a "performance" programming device that promises more HP and performance for when i tow my boat and such, but i am concerned about long term affects.

Is there a detrimental effect to my motor? i dont want to burn my motor out sooner for more performance now, i.e. short run vs. long run.

any comments?

Thanks,

4.8 L V8 are good but not as good as the 5.3 L for towing, get a good performance chip/programmer stay away from the cheap stuff , look at dyno charts for power gains, usually not a whole lot,look at torque not only HP, try the cold air intake for better acceleration.
Try to keep some weight on your bed when towing for better handling and traction.

Old 03-12-06, 12:32 PM
Red face

Before adding new chip, add larger cold air intake and try larger exhaust sys.so engine can breath better for new chip. (This is juist my opinion.)