PCV valve keeps plugging up.........

Old 03-12-06, 07:57 AM
PCV valve keeps plugging up.........

I have a 1994 Chevy 1500 pickup with a 4.4 Vortex motor. I keep putting in new pcv valves and in a couple of months they're stuck closed. I wash them out with gas, spray a little oil in them to get them working again, and it's not long before they're stuck closed again. Sometime they look like there's rust on the end, sometimes they look like they have whith milky oil on them. Any idea's on what my problem is? I took the old on out and now I'm just running the truck without one in the valve cover. Will this hurt anything not having one on?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-06, 08:08 AM
Put the PCV back. You could blow the engine to bits if it backfires. Milk = water and moisture. Somebody else needs to handle that one.

Old 03-12-06, 08:39 AM
Repeating failure of PCV valve is an indication of excessive blow-by, you may have high mileage engine and or lack of maintainance engine will also does it.

Old 03-12-06, 08:54 AM
Is the oil milky itself. My be sign of head gaskit trouble. (This is juist my opinion.)

Old 03-12-06, 11:50 AM
[QUOTE=grantiman]I have a 1994 Chevy 1500 pickup with a 4.4 Vortex motor. I keep putting in new pcv valves and in a couple of months they're stuck closed. I wash them out with gas, spray a little oil in them to get them working again, and it's not long before they're stuck closed again. Sometime they look like there's rust on the end, sometimes they look like they have whith milky oil on them. Any idea's on what my problem is? I took the old on out and now I'm just running the truck without one in the valve cover. Will this hurt anything not having one on?[/QUOTE

You mean 4.3 Vortec how 's engine running ? it does sound like something else going on, get a better quality oil and filter, has oil been changed every 3 months/3K miles ? Air filter ?
V6 engines don't last for a long time like V8 because they just work harder all the time do you know how many miles on this engine ?

Old 03-12-06, 03:11 PM
not good news

I know that you do not want to hear this but I am sure you have other problems beside the PCV valve plugging up.
Something is causing this how is the coolant leval? what does your oil look like?How about the air filter is it soaked in oil?
Do a compression test to get an idea of general engine condition.

Old 03-12-06, 03:52 PM
I know Chrysler sells pcv valves for high blow-by engines. Maybe GM also sells them.

Old 03-17-06, 05:29 AM
Yes, it is a high mileage engine, I have 165,000 on it. The motor still runs strong, oil looks good and clean, air filter good, coolent is ok. I'll put another new one back in, the're not that expensive. I do live in a cold area, Buffalo NY. I use the truck in the winter for alot of short 2-3 mile trips. Getting the cold engine hot, letting it cool down quick, then getting it hot again. Maybe I'm getting condensation in the valve cover? Could the piece on the carb were the hose connects to the carb be plugged? Maybe its not sucking as good as it should. The hose from the valve to the carb is a little brittle and does have a crack or break in it. I'll change that too and keep an eye on it.

Old 03-17-06, 07:56 AM
Replace pcv hose and try a new 195 themastat to help keep engine hotter on short runs. (This is just my opinion.)

Old 03-24-06, 08:41 AM
I suspect your short trips are contributing to your problem. Assuming you are not leaking coolant into the engine! Be sure your engine is running at the proper temperature, a thermostat stuck open may be a factor here. Starting a cold engine and running only 2-3 miles is severe service. The condensed moisture in your engine and oil doesn't get hot enough to evaporate or burn away. Get your GM dealer to do a bulletin search to see if there is a correction for this issue but I don't recall there being any revised parts for this. This condition can happen to any car driven under similar conditions but is certanly made worse if the engine isn't running at the proper temp. Also be sure the rest of the crankcase ventilation system is working.