dead battery

Old 03-12-06, 09:23 AM
t-bird
Visiting Guest
Question dead battery

87 t-bird,3.8, 100,000 miles, all original :starter, starter relayand ignition switch. New: bat & cables.
The battery was four years old and the cables were getting damaged w/acid. Both were replaced and the car started and all was well for 24 hrs. Car was dead so replaced the new bat. 24 hrs later-dead, less than 4volts. I have not removed the starter to have it tested. Could it be ignition switch, starter, or relay and how to test switch? Just before the elect trouble I noticed that the radio began to pick up a lot of engine's rpm sounds.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-06, 09:29 AM
With car running test batt. volts at batt. must be 13-14 plus If not Check price of new alt. or regulator. (This is juist my opinion.)

Old 03-12-06, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by t-bird
87 t-bird,3.8, 100,000 miles, all original :starter, starter relayand ignition switch. New: bat & cables.
The battery was four years old and the cables were getting damaged w/acid. Both were replaced and the car started and all was well for 24 hrs. Car was dead so replaced the new bat. 24 hrs later-dead, less than 4volts. I have not removed the starter to have it tested. Could it be ignition switch, starter, or relay and how to test switch? Just before the elect trouble I noticed that the radio began to pick up a lot of engine's rpm sounds.

agree with 442 also see if there's something draining juice off the batt overnight.

Old 03-13-06, 10:13 AM
"radio began to pick up a lot of engine's rpm sounds"

I agree with the rest. I think one of the diodes are gone. Have the alt. output tested by a pro

Old 03-14-06, 07:24 AM
t-bird
Visiting Guest
thanks. had the alt ck'd and it was the cause.