Need help with ignition lock cylinder

Old 03-12-06, 11:14 AM
Need help with ignition lock cylinder

I have an old 91 Mercury Grand Marquis. The ignition lock cylinder has died (key won't turn). I have tried a different key, shot a bit of graphite into lock, but no luck. Process to remove cylinder is to turn key to run and depress locking pin, but I can't turn key. Any hints, or do I have to call locksmith?

bob

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-06, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by b4413
I have an old 91 Mercury Grand Marquis. The ignition lock cylinder has died (key won't turn). I have tried a different key, shot a bit of graphite into lock, but no luck. Process to remove cylinder is to turn key to run and depress locking pin, but I can't turn key. Any hints, or do I have to call locksmith?

bob

Get quotes from different locksmiths and go from there, keep trying in the meantime.

Old 03-12-06, 12:41 PM
I had this happen on a 87 jeep and I had to drill out ignition lock cylinder so I could turn ignition to on to remove unit.

Last edited by our442; 03-12-06 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-12-06, 01:11 PM
Group Moderator
Ignition cylinders do fail and have to be replaced. You can speed up the process by having a lot of stuff on your key ring weighing down the key and putting excess pressure on the cylinder.

Old 03-12-06, 03:56 PM
I heard of some people getting out of this pickle by using some type of vibrating tool while turning the ignition. Drilling is a last resort fix.

Old 03-12-06, 08:06 PM
Got it!

I was able to muscle my way to a solution. Squirted lots of WD40 (it has never worked on anything before) into lock and work with it until I got the switch into run position and then easily removed the defective cylinder.

Yes I do have several keys on the keyring, but 15 years and 150,000 miles seems like the old one paid its price.

Thanks everyone!

the bob

Old 03-12-06, 08:14 PM
Good stuff.

Old 03-13-06, 03:43 AM
Hi,

Mitch said it best about the excess key weight causing trouble. It actually wears out the first and second internal waffers within the lock. Since ford/mercury/lincoln use internal pins, it should not have happened. What I believe happened is like you said, it just gave up. And since no one forced the lock to the on position, it should be a normal replacement. Put the new lock in the run position, depress pin, slide it into the hole, and turn to off.

cuedude

Search this Thread